DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can someone tell me what a Dball is and does?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can someone tell me what a Dball is and does?
It's a module that allows you to remote start your truck with an oem (using 3 presses of the lock button) or optional aftermarket remote. The module itself is not a remote starter however, it just works to fool the CANBUS system in to thinking there is a key starting the truck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ok so I could buy one of these for my wifes van and she could use her factory key fob to start her Caravan? Nothing else to buy?

·
Registered
226 Posts
You have to check for RSR compatibility on the xpresskit dot com website, and then usually the module has to be programmed via the seller or by you with an xloader, and depending on the year it could require Key2Go programming which only authorized dealers have/can provide.

If a vehicle does not have an RSR icon in the list of features, the module can be used for nothing more than a bypass for an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So has any one installed a Dball2 and enabled the defroster at a certain temperature? (This feature is only available on the Dball2 according to the install guide).

I enabled mine at 24 degrees. I don't have a rear defroster, but I do have the heated mirrors which use the same button as the defroster. When it's below 24 degrees, the light on the button doesn't illuminate. My drivers mirror had some ice on it today, but it was -2 so I think it was just too cold for the mirrors to melt anything. Can anyone confirm if that light illuminates when activated by the dball?

I'll be taking the infrared thermometer to the mirrors tonight she I get home to see if they warm up more than ambient when the remote start is on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So has any one installed a Dball2 and enabled the defroster at a certain temperature? (This feature is only available on the Dball2 according to the install guide).

I enabled mine at 24 degrees. I don't have a rear defroster, but I do have the heated mirrors which use the same button as the defroster. When it's below 24 degrees, the light on the button doesn't illuminate. My drivers mirror had some ice on it today, but it was -2 so I think it was just too cold for the mirrors to melt anything. Can anyone confirm if that light illuminates when activated by the dball?

I'll be taking the infrared thermometer to the mirrors tonight she I get home to see if they warm up more than ambient when the remote start is on.
My guess is that it's not working. Your mirrors would still be able to melt off ice at -2 F.

·
Registered
59 Posts
From your post it looks like yours is up and working. Did you do it yourself or had it done? Would like to do this but have trouble operating a push button phone.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My guess is that it's not working. Your mirrors would still be able to melt off ice at -2 F.
That's what I thought, but even when I turned on the mirrors manually after getting in the truck, it still wouldn't melt off. It's solid water frozen to the mirror, not just a layer of frost.

The mirrors did work fine a few days ago .... I'm curious to see what the infrared reads .....

·
Registered
226 Posts
From your post it looks like yours is up and working. Did you do it yourself or had it done? Would like to do this but have trouble operating a push button phone.
I did it myself. I'm a young guy, I work in IT, and have done a few car stereos, running lights, powered accessories, but this was my first remote start.

The wiring is simple with the harness. The hardest part was tapping in to two wires off the BCM because of the location. See page two for my install pics.

The trickiest part of the install is probably the flashing and key2go programming. Not that it's hard, but plugging in harnesses and 12v wiring is pretty straight forward, but I could see someone easily getting lost in the flashing and key2go process. I explain the steps on page 2 as well, from installing the plug in to completing the key2go process.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's what I thought, but even when I turned on the mirrors manually after getting in the truck, it still wouldn't melt off. It's solid water frozen to the mirror, not just a layer of frost.

The mirrors did work fine a few days ago .... I'm curious to see what the infrared reads .....
It was 0 F here this morning but I didn't have any Ice on my mirrors so I couldn't verify whether or not they'd melt it. I guess it depends on how much ice you have on your mirrors. I'd think it would melt a good frost off no problem but if you have 1/8" sheet of ice on your mirror, it would take a while to melt that off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It was 0 F here this morning but I didn't have any Ice on my mirrors so I couldn't verify whether or not they'd melt it. I guess it depends on how much ice you have on your mirrors. I'd think it would melt a good frost off no problem but if you have 1/8" sheet of ice on your mirror, it would take a while to melt that off.
I've also notice with frost that the heating coils in the mirror have some space in between them, so if the ice was in the right spot, it might never melt. It's just large droplets on both mirrors. I'll post my findings tonight.

My major concern was the light on the defroster button on the climate control. I would think it would illuminate, but the defroster is also activated through the canbus so who knows how it's actually activated, or if it includes the heated mirrors.

The factory remote start in my 12' 200 included the defroster and mirrors, and the light illuminated. I guess I'm just trying to determine how the dball is activating the circuit, if it just bypasses the button on the dash, and I would assume it activates mirrors being its the same circuit.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've also notice with frost that the heating coils in the mirror have some space in between them, so if the ice was in the right spot, it might never melt. It's just large droplets on both mirrors. I'll post my findings tonight.

My major concern was the light on the defroster button on the climate control. I would think it would illuminate, but the defroster is also activated through the canbus so who knows how it's actually activated, or if it includes the heated mirrors.

The factory remote start in my 12' 200 included the defroster and mirrors, and the light illuminated. I guess I'm just trying to determine how the dball is activating the circuit, if it just bypasses the button on the dash, and I would assume it activates mirrors being its the same circuit.
Did the Dball activate your windshield defrost? I'd be more interested in that than the mirrors really.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Did the Dball activate your windshield defrost? I'd be more interested in that than the mirrors really.
It does not, it only activates where ever the climate knobs were last. It really sucks starting your truck and walking out to a frosted windshield because you didn't have the windshield defroster on. There is no option for this with the dball unless you want to get creative with diodes and relays and fix something to the factory climate control to say whenever the dball is sending a signal to the parking lights, have the climate controls on high blower, temp, and windshield. And then once vehicle take over occurs, the parking lights from the dball are disabled and you could have manual control again.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It does not, it only activates where ever the climate knobs were last. It really sucks starting your truck and walking out to a frosted windshield because you didn't have the windshield defroster on. There is no option for this with the dball unless you want to get creative with diodes and relays and fix something to the factory climate control to say whenever the dball is sending a signal to the parking lights, have the climate controls on high blower, temp, and windshield. And then once vehicle take over occurs, the parking lights from the dball are disabled and you could have manual control again.
Even if get it to trigger the windshield defrost button once, it would be enough for me. My temp is usually set all the way towards hot or close to in the winter anyway. It automatically cranks up the fan when you push that button. I have the 8.4a with manual temperature regulation.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Confirmed the heated mirrors are not working with the remote start.

Reprogrammed the module, and I programmed a second dball2 that I have, and they don't work with either module. I also tried loading the latest beta firmware on the dball, and changing a few other settings. I'm at a loss as to why they wouldn't turn on, but Directed might not have built that in to the firmware.

I'm not sure how much more time I really want to invest in this, as it's not a deal breaker. I'm just happy the remote start part works.

And I also confirmed the Key2go programming. To make it work, after you take the key out of the ignition, press lock before you unplug the module. I was going to shoot a quick how to video but my phone ran dead. But hitting the lock button is the key to getting the module to program and it isnt mentioned in the instructions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just wanted to check to see if anyone has had any issues with here install. I've installed several of these befor on deferent vehicles and never had an issue.

I did an install on a 2013 express using harness and dball and every once in a while the dash board goes crazy. Saying nobus. Bad trailer brake . Babes stop working. Then it goes away. Checked all connections everything looks tight. Not sure if it's a bad shall unit or bad harness with a crappy connection..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Installed -MUCH thanks to all , made it go snap! Now for the flux capasiter
Glad to hear! Did you do it with the harness or hardwiring?

I actually ordered a SmartStart to add to mine. That's my project this weekend :smileup:

21 - 40 of 68 Posts