DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Ram 3500, with a dealer installed remote start. I had the battery on the truck die, and changed it myself in the driveway.(A week after getting it back from getting the windshield changed after a branch went thru it, lol!)

A day after changing the battery, I tried the remote start before work. I hit the fob 3 times, I heard the horn 3 times, but the truck didn't start. I tried multiple times the next couple of days, and won't start. Horn beeps, locks lock, but doesn't start.

It worked fine last year, this is the first time this fall I tried it. I assume that changing the battery, something needs to be reset? I scrolled thru everything on the dash info looking for a setting, but didn't see anything.

Any suggestions, to save me from going to the dealer? Getting cold here in Michigan, and I need my remote start, lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have read some people say the hood locking sensor/switch may not be working. Since the hood had to be opened to change the battery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is a factory remote start the dealer installed?
Is the check engine light on?
If it is, then the remote start won't operate until you get that cleared.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a factory remote start the dealer installed?
Is the check engine light on?
If it is, then the remote start won't operate until you get that cleared.
Yes, it is a factory remote the dealer installed. There is no check engine light on. There was one before I changed the battery, but not after I installed the new battery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, it is a factory remote the dealer installed. There is no check engine light on. There was one before I changed the battery, but not after I installed the new battery.
I'd get a scan tool on it and see if there are any codes stored.

·
Registered
55 Posts
New cars are tough now a days. I just had battery replaced and no issues. I think that's because the garage has a tool that plugs into the OBD port and supply's power to the ECM while removing the battery.
I changed the battery in my father's 2011 buick myself last year then went to get a inspection sticker and it wouldn't pass because disconnecting the battery with no back up through the OBD port did something to the emissions memory. I had to drive it a few hundred miles to re learn before I could get a sticker. Something with loosing memory in the emissions side of things.
Also had wife's nissan in the body shop and they disconnected the battery after getting the car back the power mirrors and one touch windows wouldnt work. That had to be re programed.
Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
A failed remote start will give you a message on the EVIC why it didn't start. One of those reasons is a fault code. Since you had the check engine light displayed prior to changing the battery I would suspect that the fault code is the reason for no start. When you changed the battery the code was cleared but did not correct the fault. See if there is any stored codes. Auto parts stores will do this for no charge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A failed remote start will give you a message on the EVIC why it didn't start. One of those reasons is a fault code. Since you had the check engine light displayed prior to changing the battery I would suspect that the fault code is the reason for no start. When you changed the battery the code was cleared but did not correct the fault. See if there is any stored codes. Auto parts stores will do this for no charge.
UPDATE>>>>>>>>>>

UPDATE BY ORIGINAL POSTER!

Borrowed a scanner, put it on the truck. Had a low voltage code stored, so I thought AHA! Cleared it out, still no work.

My wife said, "I bet I can get it working", I said yeah right. She changed the fob battery, no help. She went outside and messed with it, I kept hearing the horn beeping. She came back in and handed me the keys, and said try it. It worked!! She had to sit in the truck and do some sort of key dance to reset the computer. She got the info from a website, she did it once before on our daughters Expedition when the security was messed up after changing the steering column.

I would have bet money she wouldn't be able to get it working, but I should have known. (BTW, she works at NAPA, and has worked in auto parts for 20 plus years).

So all fixed! Thank you to everyone for ideas! Just wanted to let everyone know the end result.

·
Registered
428 Posts
She's a keeper for sure (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts