DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a two sided question which I didnt find info for while searching...

1. When the vehicle has been started already and I want to take the keys out for just a moment (wife forgot purse in house?), it seems a waste to stop the truck. Aftermarket starters let you hit the start key again and then pull the keys and the engine keeps going. Can the factory remote do this as well? Tried with no luck but maybe I am doing something wrong.

2. When starting with the factory remote is it possible to set it up so that it ALSO (when cold enough) turns on the factory heated passenger seat? It turns the drivers on and heated wheel, but wife, who is always with me, wishes hers would pre-warm as well. Possible?

Tks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Got a two sided question which I didnt find info for while searching...

1. When the vehicle has been started already and I want to take the keys out for just a moment (wife forgot purse in house?), it seems a waste to stop the truck. Aftermarket starters let you hit the start key again and then pull the keys and the engine keeps going. Can the factory remote do this as well? Tried with no luck but maybe I am doing something wrong.

2. When starting with the factory remote is it possible to set it up so that it ALSO (when cold enough) turns on the factory heated passenger seat? It turns the drivers on and heated wheel, but wife, who is always with me, wishes hers would pre-warm as well. Possible?

Tks!
Answer to your first question: you have to shut the truck off then restart with the remote. I wanted to do the same as you when I first got my truck. Checked with one of the techs at the dealership was told "no can do"
Second question: not possible. Wife also complains. It only gives you the driver seat option in the EVIC.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love my wife. I hate it when she drives tho...I am just a control freak I suppose.

Not the answers I wanted, but they are the answers I suspected.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
:iagree: with dgard61.
I looked into both of those things in depth, and came up with the same results/answers. :sad:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
:iagree: with dgard61.
I looked into both of those things in depth, and came up with the same results/answers. :sad:
Not quite! If you need the key ring out of the truck without shutting it off you can always remove the vallet key from you key fob. The vallet key is what has the ring that attaches to your key ring and all your other keys should now be free from the truck. The key fob is still in the ignition so the truck will continue to run. It's not the most elegant solution but it does get the job done without spending another 1/2 pint of gas to start the Hemi again!:LOL:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I love my wife. I hate it when she drives tho...I am just a control freak I suppose.

Not the answers I wanted, but they are the answers I suspected.

Thanks for the replies.

Gee, I must be lucky. My wife is afraid to drive my truck. I'm also afraid for her to drive my truck. :LOL:

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you go to your local locksmith/key shop they should have a double key ring that is connected with a spring loaded release cost about $5 don't get the $1.99 cheapie they fall apart
Put your truck key on one ring and all others on the other ring when you need to keep the truck running and use another key somewhere else they separate just by pushing the plunger that holds them together
Works great and the one I have has lasted 10 yrs so far

·
Registered
398 Posts
I wish my Ram did this too.
My 08 F150 with factory remote start let me take the key out when running.
You just pressed the start button again.
Then you could take the key with you and lock the doors.
I assumed the Ram would work the same and was dissapointed when it didn't.
It is a feature I used often and miss.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I to had this feature on another vehicle with an aftermarket starter. Loved it and was disappointed when my Ram didnt do it. It was great when you was running in the store quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts