Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your help. When going for the first time today to remove my locking tailgate [to put in place of it my 5th wheel tailgate], I discovered a wiring harness between the truck bed and tailgate.

The standard owners manual is of no use, it only says "remove the tailgate electrical connectors". Nothing else. I called the dealer, who said advised that they could not instruct me in this matter, due to liability issues. They would be pleased to set up a service appointment.

This is stupidity twice over. Stupid manual, and dealer. I have spent an hour on-line [without success] just tying to find the instructions to remove the black plastic filler panel on the rear of the bed, and then the proper way to disconnect the bloody harness.

If anyone could please advise this, it would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
:)
open your tailgate
some tailgates have a small cover at the very bottom of the tailgate, close to the license plate
I don't have that cover, so i just pull the wiring out from above the license plate about 4 inches & disconnect the harness there.

If you take off the larger inspection cover on the inside of the tailgate, there may be a 2 pronged connector near the handle, one for the camera, one for the electrically operated tailgate lock

That pigtail runs down to the connector that i mentioned above, it is only about 25" long

The 3rd pigtail connector can be seen if you look up at your frame, between the drivers side rear tire & the rear bumper, i believe they put one there so that when the exhaust needs to be worked on, they don't need to worry about any wires being in the way

In this pix, you can see the wiring harness at my back bumper, it had been disconnected from my tailgate camera, i had damaged my tailgate & i wanted to use my Ram while i waited on the new tailgate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks need the owner manual part?

thanks for the photo. that is part that I need to remove. The part that would be right target would be the "see owners manual for instructions on disconnecting the wiring". That is the missing part....a picture of that page would be helpful, as mine does not have that instruction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pic GT....it does show exactly the rectangular port in the bed frame and the harness disconnected. What I need to find out is how to remove the plastic filler over the rectangular hole and disconnect the harness. Any further info is appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again GT for the video. I did look at this video, but the tailgate in the video does not have the wiring harness that I need to disconnect

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved [I hope]

Looks like the manual I was given with my new RAM was not the most recent version of the manual. I found the latest manual on-line at the factory site, and pages 265-269 show the procedure. It appears the the kit [in the picture provided by one of the forum members....thank you] was not given to me with my new truck. Another topic for me to discuss with my dealer tomorrow. Thanks to all for responding...it led me to the answer. On-the-road-again!:smileup:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My truck came with this in glove box
Yeah, I got that too with a 1 minute instruction of what it's for. Did not include details of removing the cover panel. Most of the things like that that I've had to remove just snap in and out. The trick is knowing where to apply the force. If it breaks you did it wrong.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Re the poll: At least I can read the manual. It may not be great but it's paper which generally is readable days, weeks, even years later. The DVD version that came with the truck tried to install some piece of software on my computer but failed. I gave RAM hell in their questionnaire about that. Why on earth can't they use a standard format that will just play on my computer without some special player that doesn't even work?

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
reefer451,

That special player does work, but there is a trick or 2 to it
first you have to find out which Browser to use, then you have to set your security settings in that browser to LOW, medium will not work for the actual download, after you do d/l it, reset your security setting

That is what i had to do to view the 2009 Dodge Ram Repair Manual, i can't even find the envelope & cd now. I bought the CD several years ago

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re the poll: At least I can read the manual. It may not be great but it's paper which generally is readable days, weeks, even years later. The DVD version that came with the truck tried to install some piece of software on my computer but failed. I gave RAM hell in their questionnaire about that. Why on earth can't they use a standard format that will just play on my computer without some special player that doesn't even work?
I have a PDF copy of the '14 owners manual. It will run on a Mac or windows system using Adobe Reader (they all have that). I added "nav" buttons and indexes to it so you can click the screen to go to the appropriate section or page. It's fully "searchable". PM me if you want it and I'll email it to you. It's about 5.5 megabytes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts