DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone renewed their data plan for the built in AT&T hotspot in your '18?

Mine 1 GB 3 month trial ran out today, so I renewed another month for $20.

Unlimited car connected plan.

$20 flat, no taxes or fees.

Just wondering.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
That seems a steep price. Why not use your phone as a hot spot when you need to. Being able to use my phone as a hot spot doesn't cost me anymore a month.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're calling $20 a month FOR UNLIMITED DATA steep?

Not all phones have hotspot capability, and not all carriers allow it.

Not gonna let AT&T or Verizon rape me on a contract phone plan. no way.

I have my 4 lines for $100 with 25GB of data on total wireless (tracfone/verizon).

Where else would you get an unlimited hotspot for $20?

That seems a steep price. Why not use your phone as a hot spot when you need to. Being able to use my phone as a hot spot doesn't cost me anymore a month.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I pay $125 a month for 5 lines with unlimited data from tmobile. $20 a month to just have internet in the truck seems pretty steep unless you and your family live in it.

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
I felt this way about the WiFi Hotspot

First you need a Smart Phone $$$$$

Then you need Uconnect Access, Uconnect is a digital hub that vastly improves on prior generations. But it costs $20 per month after a free one-year trial

A Wi-Fi hotspot option costs $10 per day, $20 per week, or $35 per month at regular prices

I only have a Flip Phone, so i don't have to do anything except take a Laptop computer where ever i go & i stay at a motel that has free WiFi

I can't do any thing except use the normal Ram Hands Free Calling & voice Messaging & use the VR to help me to Navigate, while i am driving

I save a ton of money that way
No smart phone, save $600+
No Uconnect Access, save $20 per month
No WiFi Hotspot save $35 per month

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm talking about a 2018.... Its not called Uconnect Access in a 18, its called Siruis Guardian.

Hotspot option is powered by AT&T 4G LTE, and its $20 a month unlimited. Previously powered by Sprint, and only 3G.

I felt this way about the WiFi Hotspot

First you need a Smart Phone $$$$$

Then you need Uconnect Access, Uconnect is a digital hub that vastly improves on prior generations. But it costs $20 per month after a free one-year trial

A Wi-Fi hotspot option costs $10 per day, $20 per week, or $35 per month at regular prices

I only have a Flip Phone, so i don't have to do anything except take a Laptop computer where ever i go & i stay at a motel that has free WiFi

I can't do any thing except use the normal Ram Hands Free Calling & voice Messaging & use the VR to help me to Navigate, while i am driving

I save a ton of money that way
No smart phone, save $600+
No Uconnect Access, save $20 per month
No WiFi Hotspot save $35 per month

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
It is a different name that does the same things

The old system was though Sprint
The new system is through AT&T
AT&T has one advantage, now there is a chance that Ram owners up in Canada may finally be able to have Uconnect Access or Siruis Guardian.

SPRINT could never supply Canadians with the connectivity, they did not have Satellites or Repeaters at any other place than the USA & some of the Northern USA States even had issues with using Sprint

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sprint is just plain awful awful awful here........

the AT&T hotspot in the Ram is pretty up to date. It runs off the fastest band off the tower. I did a speed test and got about 30mbps average. Pretty good in my opinion.

Verizon (cell phone) doesn't put out speeds that good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm a week in with my 2018 and the hotspot free trial is probably one of the few things I haven't made sure to set up. Got a pretty good setup with my cell as hotspot (funded through my work) but I'm interested to see what the newest UConnect setup can provide especially while free and a couple of family road trips coming up.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"FREE" will get you 1GB, three months (which wont last long with a family on a trip).

I'm a week in with my 2018 and the hotspot free trial is probably one of the few things I haven't made sure to set up. Got a pretty good setup with my cell as hotspot (funded through my work) but I'm interested to see what the newest UConnect setup can provide especially while free and a couple of family road trips coming up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
im about to activate mine.. i have AT&T plan which is unlimited but CANNOT do hotspot since its part of the package.

2 days ago i sold my iPhone X and bought Note 8 (nano sim swap). to my surprised my hotspot is working lol. so for now im good!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It took about 2 weeks after I bought the truck to activate it.

Go to

www.att.com/fca

to activate it. It will ask you to key in your VIN #. it will either take you to an activation page, or it will give you a message "COMING SOON".

The trial for the hotspot is 1GB for 30 days (most people use 1GB in a couple of days), but nonetheless, its a trial, and it lets you test it out.

There is no way to determine a signal, since the truck is actually using the internal modem, but you can do a quick speedtest at

fast.com, and it will give you a generalized speed for what is available in your area.

or you can check the AT&T coverage maps.

im about to activate mine.. i have AT&T plan which is unlimited but CANNOT do hotspot since its part of the package.

2 days ago i sold my iPhone X and bought Note 8 (nano sim swap). to my surprised my hotspot is working lol. so for now im good!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
P.S. If you DO decide to continue after your trial...

DO NOT add it to your existing at&t account. You can, but its a seperate line, and will incur you about $5 in taxes (gotta love AT&T for fees and taxes, eh).

Do it a month to month charge on a credit card, and its only $20, period.

·
Registered
2018 1500 Sport
168 Posts
Will use the free trial heading down to HHI this year. Only daughter will be using it while im driving. Will not be reupping after. Maybe buy a month once a year for family trip but, that's it.

What is everyone doing in their vehicles that a dedicated, year round, wifi is needed in them? Serious question.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Streaming will only be as good as the coverage/reception in your area.

If you decide to enroll in this plan...

1. you obviously already have AT&T in your area, and it works satisfactorily for you, and you want to use the hotspot in your vehicle

2. You use the trial period to determine if it meets your needs, the you decide if it meets your needs.

YOU have to be the one determining if its for you.

ANY network can say "the nation's best network for video streaming."

AT&T & Ram plan

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/ram.html

read fine print at bottom of page, where it reads:

¹Based on 3rd party data.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
since this so new, I am unsure if you can just "renew" when you want.

in other words, renew 1 time, let it expire, then 8 months down the road, renew again.

However, since Siruis Guardian uses the same phone number of the headend unit and the hotspot, it would be an assumption that the hotspot would
be able to be re-activated any time during the TRIAL period of the Sirius Guardian trial as well.

If you didn't renew Siruis Guardian at the end of the 1 year trial, would you still be able to have continued use of the hotspot?

My answer would be NO, because AT&T isn't going to keep that phone number provisioned in the system if there is no subscription attached to it.

No one else has chimed in on this, specifically in an 18 year model.

Will use the free trial heading down to HHI this year. Only daughter will be using it while im driving. Will not be reupping after. Maybe buy a month once a year for family trip but, that's it.

What is everyone doing in their vehicles that a dedicated, year round, wifi is needed in them? Serious question.

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
Sirius Guardian does the same thing as Uconnect Access
It gives you the ability to connect your phone to your FCA vehicle & use the APPS

The WiFi APP allows you to get it for just one day, or just one week, or just for one month
With the monthly plan, you can use it month after month if you choose to

Prepaid one time purchase plans
The plan requires that you sign up for the AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan: U.S. only

250MB Connected Car Data Plan 1 Day, does not renew $5

Monthly Plan $20
renews every 30 days
The selected prepaid auto renew plan will be charged immediately. The plan automatically renews and your credit card on file will be charged every 30 days unless you cancel at att.com/myvehicleaccount

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/login

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
you go into the account settings and change "AUTO REWEW" to OFF if you don't want to continue each month.

there is no one week option with the current AT&T hotspot in an 18.

GTyankee, do you have an 18 with the AT&T hotspot?

Sirius Guardian does the same thing as Uconnect Access
It gives you the ability to connect your phone to your FCA vehicle & use the APPS

The WiFi APP allows you to get it for just one day, or just one week, or just for one month
With the monthly plan, you can use it month after month if you choose to

Prepaid one time purchase plans
The plan requires that you sign up for the AT&T Connected Car Unlimited Plan: U.S. only

250MB Connected Car Data Plan 1 Day, does not renew $5

Monthly Plan $20
renews every 30 days
The selected prepaid auto renew plan will be charged immediately. The plan automatically renews and your credit card on file will be charged every 30 days unless you cancel at att.com/myvehicleaccount

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/login

1 - 20 of 21 Posts