DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i bought my dodge about 6-7 months ago used. Now based on the fact that it was used i knew there was going to be a few things that could use some attention, but man not this much. Just seeing if this much stuff is normal. The truck had 90k when i got it, now it just hit 100k. heres a list of things I've done to it. I also put full synthetic royal purple, k&n oil filters, oil change every 2500, autolites, etc... I've maintained this truck very well but it seems like its just one thing after another.

Ball Joints
Power Steering Pump
Power Steering Gear Box
Valve Cover gaskets
Intake Manifold Gaskets
Hubs
Oil Temp Sensor
AIT Sensor
Tie Rods
Adjustable Track Bar ( old one made it wobble )
New Dash ( suddenly cracked out of no where ?)
Oil Pan Gasket
Oil Pump
Motor Mounts
Idler Pulleys
Serpentine Belt
Spark Plug Wires
Heater core

Then the motor started a rod knock one day when i was driving around town

New Motor

And now the torque converter just when out:doh:

So at this point I'm thinking either the P/O didnt take care of this truck at all, or its just a Lemon, or i have the worst luck ever

·
Administrator
2017 Ram Rebel 5.7L Flame Red
42,016 Posts
Ouch sorry to hear that. I am more inclined to say probably no maintenance by previous owner on this one. For the cracked Dash I would look on here there are lots of posts about that but I see you replaced it anyway.

Just the list seems like there was really no previous maintenance on this Truck. Hopefully you are through it now and well sounds like you have a pretty new truck now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So i bought my dodge about 6-7 months ago used. Now based on the fact that it was used i knew there was going to be a few things that could use some attention, but man not this much. Just seeing if this much stuff is normal. The truck had 90k when i got it, now it just hit 100k. heres a list of things I've done to it. I also put full synthetic royal purple, k&n oil filters, oil change every 2500, autolites, etc... I've maintained this truck very well but it seems like its just one thing after another.

Ball Joints
Power Steering Pump
Power Steering Gear Box
Valve Cover gaskets
Intake Manifold Gaskets
Hubs
Oil Temp Sensor
AIT Sensor
Tie Rods
Adjustable Track Bar ( old one made it wobble )
New Dash ( suddenly cracked out of no where ?)
Oil Pan Gasket
Oil Pump
Motor Mounts
Idler Pulleys
Serpentine Belt
Spark Plug Wires

Then the motor started a rod knock one day when i was driving around town

New Motor

And now the torque converter just when out:doh:

So at this point I'm thinking either the P/O didnt take care of this truck at all, or its just a Lemon, or i have the worst luck ever
WOW.. What's this 90 k thing on theses Ram Trucks .. I had some issues with my truck , but they are ironed out ...and .. it had around 90k on it .... But .. honestly .. I do like the truck .. but I'm kinda wondering about their shody workmenship .. on these Dodges ...

I do agree with Shawn .. some owners really abuse their trucks .. I'm kinda wonering if that's the case with the problems I'm having ...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry about all your problems.

IMHO, too many owners "drive em hard and put em away wet" with out proper care in the use and/or maintenance.

My theory on buying used is, if you don't know the history, assume your buying someone's problems.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
One job that i had was working for a Custom Rancher
for those who have not heard of a custom rancher, they are ranchers that either sold or leased their land, but still have all of their equipment. They hire out the equipment & an operator to other ranchers who still work the land

We had a pickup truck, it was an International, that we used for BROADCAST SEEDING, the drive train was in fair condition, but the body was falling apart, the doors had to be tied closed, fenders were welded on, etc.

When someone mentions that their vehicle was a piece of crap, my mind does a flash back & i think that things could be worse !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My theory on buying used is, if you don't know the history, assume your buying someone's problems.
I have heard this New vs Used theory go around alot .. Personaly I don't buy it .. I've seen new trucks and used trucks go through the system without a hitch .. on the other had .. I've seen new trucks and used go through the system and some were a piece of crap ..and all they were was a money pit ..

In my case ..with the driveshaft .. it was/is a factory issue .. When we called Dodge .. they admitted to know about some trucks went through the line that had driveshaft problems at the factory ,, but they were at a acceptable balance .. " according to Dodge " .. so there ya go ...

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
In an 03? I hate to say that the term "lemon" just doesnt apply here.

The previous owner beat the hell out of that truck and didnt maintain it, when it finally started to cost him, he traded up for a new one and repeats the cycle. I know people that do this crap all the time, and I always tell them its borderline criminal.

When you sell a home, you have to (by law) disclose EVERYTHING to the buyer and or realtor that has been wrong with the home since you purchased it. Then your appraisal is adjusted accordingly.

Cars and Trucks should be the same way, this honor system sucks. How would you feel if I sold a truck to a dealer (which is what a trade-in is), and then you bought it from said dealer at a cost $5,000 or so above what I got for it.

Then, you had to dump $5,000 into it in 6 months, just to keep it running. Would you feel like I stole $5,000 from you? how about $15,000 ($10,000 for the 10 year old paperweight that sits in the driveway more than you drive it)?

I know its a 10 year old truck with 90,000 miles, but DAMN, someone just didnt keep it maintained. Alot of that crap is stuff that can be avoided/prevented with regular maintenance.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Man I am sorry to hear of all the problems your are having. At this point I would probably just change the rear end out and keep driving with all new parts. It does sound like the PO didnt do anything to even try to keep it running. Im feeling the crunch too on my 2002 here lately. Its not a lot of problems but seem to be falling into place all at once. I paid off the loan I took out to buy it about 6 months ago and shortly after I had to replace the heater core, and of course the cracked up dash that shattered when taking everything apart to get to the heater core. 2 weeks ago I changed the transmission fluid/filters, spark plugs, and diff oil and it repaid me by dumping the brake booster out on me. So that was replaced a few days ago, and in turn my a/c compressor took a dump.

I dont mind fixing things but, damn, when they fail all within a short time period it makes me wonder why I even bother. BUT, with all those minor things, compared to your list, that I had to replace, it is still cheaper then 3 months worth of payments.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
some things mentioned are imho wear items. 90000 miles on a 10 year old truck doesn't sound like it was beat. i also hate to say, 03 was a bad year for trannys, 47re. sounds like you are in too deep to get out of, but since most of the things you fixed should last awhile, it should last for a while.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know people that do this crap all the time, and I always tell them its borderline criminal.

When you sell a home, you have to (by law) disclose EVERYTHING to the buyer and or realtor that has been wrong with the home since you purchased it.
Here's the thing though...a lot of people don't know they beat the crap out of them. Something that bugs you or me about our trucks may be a total non issue to them and they just get rid of it because it's "getting old and it shakes" or whatever. How often have you gotten in someone else's car and heard an obvious problem like brakes or wheel bearings...you say "hey, you should get that checked out" and they're like "what? it's driving fine."

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Here's the thing though...a lot of people don't know they beat the crap out of them. Something that bugs you or me about our trucks may be a total non issue to them and they just get rid of it because it's "getting old and it shakes" or whatever. How often have you gotten in someone else's car and heard an obvious problem like brakes or wheel bearings...you say "hey, you should get that checked out" and they're like "what? it's driving fine."
Exactly.

Personally, I think everyone with a drivers liscense should have to take at least a basic maintenance course. How to do your own oil change etc.

Hell my cousin is a 25 year old guy and cant change a tire...:158:

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
So you have met my father in law! LOL

He has one measure of what is a good vehicle. If it starts, it's good!

He was trying to sell an older van of his, and couldn't understand why no one would buy it, and was very upset that some of the prospective buyers called it a 'piece of junk'. So I jumped in to take it for a good run to see what kind of condition it was in. I drove it about 2 blocks (total....1 block away, turned around and came back) and the whole time I have never been so scared for my life in a vehicle. I never got over 10mph as it was a total hazard at any speed faster then parked. I immediately removed the battery so it won't start....then it was no longer a 'good vehicle'. :shakehead: The scrap yard gave him $50 for the metal salvage.

Your right! Some people really don't know. I am not able to comprehend this, but I have one of those in my family. I take his personal vehicle for a drive once a month and make any necessary repairs so my in laws are at least driving in a vehicle that has all the basic safety things working....like brakes, steering, wheel bearings, etc. At least he does take it in for oil changes on a reasonable schedule. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts