DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So crawled under my truck to do a u joint, and discovered my front shocks are going..especially passenger side lost lots oil..

so shopping
pretty much down to rancho 9000 or bilstein 5100 series

at this point i'm leaning towards the billys just because I hear the adjusting feature on the 9000's don't hold up to some weather and we get large amounts of snow and salting in winter...

if any one could chime in...it seems like these shocks are only meant more for lifted applications...though I have no intentions on lifting and my vehicle does sit some what level and am happy with current stance

Though should I be looking at replacing the whole coil assembly as it may start going as well..I don't have a ton of knowledge on this area has I have never had to do shocks in any vehicle before

thanks for any advice. Dan.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Rancho 9000's are a monroe product. IMO the bilstien is a much better shock. My brother put these on his stock 2006 and they were great. he got his from Tire and Wheel Wholesale

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Your trx sits1" higher the. A stock ram so if you use the stock setting with the adjustables your truck will be lower then it was originally
If you choose to go with adjustables you are goig to need an alignment since the truck will be at a new height
The bilstiens are a better shock IMO

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have decided to go with the 5100's and i noticed the bilsteins are 0-2" adjustable so should be able to get same height as now...alignment will definitely be done and is minor considering how much I have had to put into this truck since I bought it 2 months ago grrr

I read somewheres on this site that on the trx it is 1" higher in back and closer to 0.25" in the front..but not 100% positive if this is true.

Thanks Dan.

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
The bilstiens have 4 settings from 0-2" not sure exactly but it's something like stock,1.5", 2.1" and 2.8"
Those probably aren't the exact height but you get the idea. You will be able toget close to what your at now though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts