DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a step by step guide to replace the plugs on a 2009 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie? The manual says to use NGK LZFR5C–11 (Gap 0.043 in [1.09 mm]) but I can't find those anywhere. Napa told me to use Autolite AP5263. Are those OK? I've done it before in other vehicles, but not this one. I want to make sure I cover all the bases so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Matt

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Have you checked with the dealer, I like sticking with factory plugs, that way you know they're right

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only place I found those plugs available was at the dealership. Make sure you have 2 swivels and an extension. You will need them to squeeze by the brake booster. I went spark plug tool, swivel, extension, swivel, then wrench.

There was plenty of Dielectric grease left in the coil packs, and I would pick up 2 packets of anti seize for the plugs. After 30K miles the gaps on the plugs that I removed ranged from (0.46"-0.47"). It was a complete waste of my time when I changed them. I'm not sure why it's required in the service manual. I changed all 16 in about 2.5 hours. Not including the time spent to gap all 16 plugs before I started the job. The new plugs I purchased from the dealership, the plug gap ranged from .042" -.065".

If your real critical you can pull out a torque wrench. The control plans and torques from Saltillo,Mexico shows the electrode gap is 1.09mm(.043") with 18Nm +/-3 torque on the plug. There was also a note on the torque sheet that says not to exceed 21Nm due to a "Torque critical tapered design of the spark plug"(translation from spanish).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks guys. I'll get an extra swivel and return these autolites. If the dealer has the OEM NGK's, I'll get em there. I've seen some posts about some of the plugs being hard to get to or even see. How big of a hassle is this project?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Why are you changing them so soon? I think the new engines allow you to go 100K miles before replacement. Only the older blocks and plugs needed changing every 30K miles. Doesn't Dodge use the newer type plugs with new filaments? (I forget what material they are).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since the stock plugs are only available from the dealer, isn't there some law that says the dealer has to provide them at no charge?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called the dealer and they're $4 apiece (x16 = $64). The parts guy said "from personal experience, you don't need to change them". So I'm only doing it to keep up the warranty. I wish they'd update the manual to not require new plugs every 30k...

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
More often than not plugs last a lot longer than what the dealer says they should be changed. However, there's a downside to keeping them in for long times. The plugs and the heads are not made of the same material and will rust/corrode together which usually results in a plug breaking off in the head when someone tries to remove it.

This is a common problem with phords.

Whether you change the plugs frequently or not, make sure you put anti-seize on the threads. :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
BTW, could you actually be denied warranty coverage if you stretched your plug changes? I rarely went with the recommended service on my 300M and never had warranty issues, mainly because most suggested services weren't necessary. Not saying I'd skimp on the RAM, but...

Plus, how could a dealer ever prove you didn't change the plugs if you did them yourself?

Just curious about experiences you guys have had with getting the Ram serviced. My last NEW vehicle was back in 2004 and am curious if they are more stringent with warranty claims now?

(sorry about the partial thread jack)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yea the Ford 4.6 was notorious in the Mustangs for broken plugs. Bad news for sure. It was so bad even the dealer couldn't get them out in one piece. I don't think any manufacturer or dealer has any way of checking to see if the work was done. Are they going to ask you for receipts? I don't think so! Even if you did follow through with the maintenance you might loose the receipts in a flood, fire, theft, they can't penalize you for that. I have to wonder also if you are looking at the Extreme conditions maintenance, because 30K for plugs sounds rather old fashioned. I know when I was looking at getting a Challenger last year I read through the manual online and on the V6 the plugs didn't need changing till 100K for regular maintenance. I would reread through your manual and make sure you got it right.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
BTW, could you actually be denied warranty coverage if you stretched your plug changes? I rarely went with the recommended service on my 300M and never had warranty issues, mainly because most suggested services weren't necessary. Not saying I'd skimp on the RAM, but...

Plus, how could a dealer ever prove you didn't change the plugs if you did them yourself?

Just curious about experiences you guys have had with getting the Ram serviced. My last NEW vehicle was back in 2004 and am curious if they are more stringent with warranty claims now?

(sorry about the partial thread jack)
Personally, I think those are all valid points.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i wondered the same thing about spark plugs at 30,000mi. so i took my truck to my mechanic with 36,000 for the 16 plug change, and upon inspection, he advised against it due to the fact they looked brand new. why waste the money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do mine every 60K. They can't actually void it unless there are signs of gross negligence... I don't think anyone on this forum has to worry about that. I think :thk:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I saw on Trucks about the F-150's and how they would break the plugs off in the heads and it just looked like a lot of work just to retap the head and etc. It wouldn't that bad if all of the plugs were easy to get too. The plugs on my Challenger are easy to get to unlike my Ram.

·
Registered
348 Posts
my best advice for changing the plugs is to get all the tools together you'll need, throw em under the hood, then climb in and find a comfortable spot to sit cause you'll be there a while!

·
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Cl
2,169 Posts
I'm letting the dealer change the plugs

Here is the deal with the plugs
1- Must be torqued to spec
2- New Plugs have a special coating that negates the need for anti sieze. If you go to the plug website, they tell you "not to use anti-sieze)
3- If you take them out and reinstall them, the coating gets scratched and then you need anti-sieze
4- Anti-sieze alters the torque values as it adds lubrication. The torque wrench will read a lower value.
5- tight areas on the Ram make it virtually impossible to use torque wrench

So every 2 years or so (30-40 K miles) I'll look for dealer specials and let them do it. If a head gets screwed up, they fix it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I plant to let the dealer do it. Truck is al;most at 50km (30Miles) .Im going to price out a whole wack of dealers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
oh, i read the manual all right. matter of fact it said to change plugs at 30k and plugs and wires at 60k. i know my last truck 2006 ram that didn't have the hemi, the plugs didn't need changed until 100k. the 30k change must have to do with the hemi. anyhow, i will wait until 60k and then get the change done regardless.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What the heck is the deal with engines having so many problems with plugs now days? When I read about the Ford 4.6 breaking plugs in the heads I thought it was just a Ford problem. Now I hear Dodge also has this problem. Is it because they use aluminum heads, different compressions ratios, what? In the old iron blocks you would never hear of such issues (at least I never did). I started replacing plugs when I was a kid some 30 years ago and even back then never broke a plug in the heads. These engines now are really delicate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts