DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to get rid of as much chrome on my truck as possible. I've heard that it is really difficult to paint over the chrome on the bumpers. I found a replacement sport bumper online for about 180.00 and was wondering if it is possible to install this in place of the upper and lower ST bumpers.

Also, can the chrome on the grille be sanded off easily and painted to match? I've seen some guys are plastidipping theirs, but I'm a little hesitant as to the quality with chips and peels.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The sport bumper is different from the chrome bumpers on all the other models. The sport bumper utilizes different fenders and rides up a little higher against the fenders. You would have to replace your fenders with sport ones in order for it to come together properly. As for sanding chrome, I have no clue. Sorry

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'm pretty sure the fenders are the same, I'd never heard that before. The sport bumper does use different mounts and such though, it's an expensive job. Over $1,000 not painted IIRC.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For the chrome on the grill. I believe soaking plastic chrome in bleach will remove that.

Me...

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm pretty sure the fenders are the same, I'd never heard that before. The sport bumper does use different mounts and such though, it's an expensive job. Over $1,000 not painted IIRC.
My bad on that. Same fenders, but different mounts. SLT has that little lip above the chrome bumper that is color matched. Sport has a solid one piece bumper.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had my chrome bumper replaced. the fenders ARE the same, but there is a major difference on how everything underneath mounts. Luckily I was on an accident and the body shop did the work for me. the cost was about dead eve from replacing the SLT front end and changing it to the sport front.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Wow looks great!

Do you happen to have a fully complete list of what's required?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey Henry , you might want to look into powder coating. I'll be getting mine done next week for $250 both front and rear, it would be easy for a good shop to match up a powder coat to your paint. Another option is to buy primerd bumpers , have them painted and sale your chrome ones to make up the cost. Good luck

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sorry, i do not have the parts list. all i know is the body shop said the swap was not all that straight forward. But it looks great and lines up perfect if you can get it all figured out. I am sure you can find an exploded parts list to help. I think i saw one no to long ago. I'll see if I can dig up the web site again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies guys. Not sure what I'll end up doing. Perhaps just leave it for now and see later on. I think I will spend money on on exhaust and other performance upgrades first.

Ramfd your truck sure looks sweet. Would love to get mine like that someday.

For an exploded parts list you can look on jimsautoparts.com They deal all kinds of OEM and aftermarket parts. Looks quite pricey to outright swap front ends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts