DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start with kudos to Chris Harrigan at Legmaker Intakes. What a champion guy. I'm thrilled with my new Legmaker CAI which replaces my OEM Mopar intake. Sorry if this is a bit long. Totcal cost of the mod - $225 – parts & shipping from LMI; $3.25 crankcase breather filter from O’Rielly’s. Tools required - flathead screwdriver, 10mm wrench, 13mm wrench.

I bought my '11 Ram 1500 in January ‘12 and it came equipped with the Mopar CAI. (Note - not confirmed but believe this is the same as the AEM Brute Force intake.) I found the intake tube was rubbing my new hood liner and damaging it. I contacted my dealer and they looked at it - offered immediately to replace the liner and resolve the rub. Besides the rub I think the Mopar CAI in butt ugly and I wanted to replace the intake tube. I hoped I could do this without having to purchase an complete new intake. I was!

On the HemiTruckClub forums I saw the thread on Legmaker intakes. I liked the carbon fiber tube as I have carbon fiber graphics on my hood. I was able to contact Chris Harrigan at LMI and send photos of my OEM intake and seek his advice. He replied by supplying his 90° silicon throttle body coupler and a standard 4" carbon fiber tube. We hoped this set up would be adaptable to the use of my existing filter and airbox. It was!!

When I removed the Mopar intake I did discover two surprises. I had not looked at the backside of the tube so was surprised to find it bolts to the airbox AND there is an inlet off the back of the tube (see pics) for a crankcase ventilation hose. Pick up the phone in a panic and Chris offered 2 options - return the tube and he would modify it with the intake - or use a simple crankcase intake breather filter. I opted for the intake filter and moved forward with the Legmaker tube.

The great news is the Legmaker coupler and tube fit my 2011 application like a glove. We feared the tube might be too long but there is enough ability to shove it a bit further into the coupler and/or into the filter to resolve that. Given the OEM tube is angled at the filter attachment and the LMI is not, there is a slight difference in the angle, and the coupler wants to rise up on the side of the TB away from the filter to compensate. By simply pushing the coupler down flat into place around the TB and then tightening in place, that too was resolved.

You also must relocate the internal air filter. On the Mopar intake it is moved from it’s stock location to near the end of the tube just outside the airbox. Harrigan drilled his coupler so I could return this filter to its OEM (non CAI) location. This is easy enough – just unclip the inline extension cable, pop the filter out of the Mopar tube ( a spriz of WD40 helps) and relocate the filter into the coupler.

The end result is a great looking CAI - the carbon fiber tube matches my hood graphics, the rub issue is gone and I've found that the LMI intake has an even deeper, throatier growl than the MOPAR. I could not be happier.

Before --- original OEM CAI

Hood rubbing

New LMI/Mopar intake

View from top - note relocated internal air filter on coupler and crankcase breather filter that otherwise connects to an inlet on back of OEM tube

Finally back side of the OEM tube showing crankcase inlet and mounting bracket to brace tube to airbox (seems unnecessary to me).

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
That is one awesome looking CAI!!!! I love Carbon!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
looks good..you should see if they could do something like this..this is an Lx intake but the theory is the same, our hemi's will take as much air as you can give it..

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
LMI FTMFW! Chris is awesome to deal with and has amazing customer service, not to mention some of the best intakes out there for style and performance.

looks good..you should see if they could do something like this..this is an Lx intake but the theory is the same, our hemi's will take as much air as you can give it..

It's called the LMI 'Hammer'. Here's mine fof my 6.1L intake manifold swap :smileup:

Chris is a hell of a lot better to deal with than the douche that was responsible for the BFI & Aria. He actually ships products and has responsible business practices.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
you think he could do something for the 4th gens? The Ramhammer I have for the 3th gen is huge (6" dia where the filter connects) and we all know how quick my truck is..

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I believe he does have something for the 4th gens. I'll have to talk to a local member, he has apparently received a LMI for his '11. I'll try and get some pics of it sometime

*Edit* Found a picture and some info for those interested

LMI Ram Truck CAI (09'-11')
$249.99
o Carbon Fiber construction
o Unique fabrication process resulting in smooth inner surface to ensure smooth airflow
o 4” diameter carbon fiber tube with 45* bend to allow for placement of filter over air intake opening in fender well
o S&B Filter with 8 layer protection (oil type)
o Hi-temp rubber coupler
o High quality “T”-bolt band clamps
o Available to fit both stock and 90mm throttle bodies
o Drilled for IAT sensor
o Oil breather filter (red,blue,silver)
o All necessary hardware and instruction for DIY installation

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Like the rest of his stuff, they're top end for the performance. The CF tube doesn't heat soak like any of the metal tubes out there, plus the filter is placed right infront of the same hole that the stock air box takes it's cold air from. I honstly would have like to see it a bit further into the fender well, but it's location is still good for pulling cold air in.

Now, if we could get some guinea pigs to try and get a true cold air set up like the LX cars have, then it would be truly impressive, he just needs interest in that kind of thing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If he could make a CF "BFI" style CAI he would get the entire 3rd GEN market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts