DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 4x4, 187k on the clock but 25k on motor,,,
Anyway, I have a problem where I get in, turn the key and it just clicks,, put it in neutral, same thing, back to park same thing...
After doing some reading, figured it was the neutral safety switch so I replaced it, still doing the same thing... have plenty power to the battery and charging system...
After trying the key a few times it will start to crank and stop,,key it a few more times it will finally turn over no problem...

Any ideas on this so I can get it fixed,,, it's my daily driver...

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it just clicks once when I turn the key, but I agree that I think it's the starter... prolly go get one tonight or tomorrow if the other forum members here feel the same that the starter is most likely the problem!

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
it could be your ignition switch, if it clicks when you turn the key every time, that is the solenoid & ignition working together.
That leaves a hanging or a bad starter or a loose wire connector as the problem.
You can usually tap the starter lightly with something & IF it is hanging up, it will make it work.
I would start with the starter wiring, POWER & GROUND wires

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a test, put truck in park, turn key. Do you hear the click? Now put truck into a gear, (not neutral) turn key. Do you hear a click? If not, your safety switch is working fine.
Did your test as written and no click when it was in gear, so the neutral safety switch is fine,,, of course then I put it in park and it started right up,,,lol

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You could have what I had happen to me. I went to start dads 4x4. Turned key to start, click let go of key truck couches and fires up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts