DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Replaced Water Pump, Now it revs up before shifting - Please Help

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TransEngineer 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am in desperate need of some help.

I searched this forum before deciding to replace my water pump.
I replaced the Water Pump, Clutch fan, thermostat and belt because the water pump was leaking pretty bad in the driveway. I decided to do all of the others while I was in there.

Everything went together just fine. The problem is that now when I test drive it, the truck Revs up to like 2K-3K RPMs before shifting to second.

I'm not sure where to begin to fix this.
I thought maybe there was air in the coolant lines.
I filled with coolant and turned the heat on max and the fan on high.
Then let the truck run for about 15-20 minutes. Let it sit and then topped off with coolant (wasn't a lot to top off to be honest.)

I also thought maybe it is Air Filter related (sorry if I'm way off, I don't have a lot of diagnostic skills at all. I usually get someone to diagnose for me and then I do the repair.) Back to why I thought maybe it was Air filter related....
I have the K&N air filter and in the middle of the tube (don't know technical name) between the Engine and the filter there appears to be a sensor of some sort that is inserted into a drilled hole in the plastic tube. The grommet around this "sensor" was torn and the sensor did not seal there very well so in messing with it, I made it even worse. I then put electrical tape wrapped around the tube and the sensor in an effort to seal it back up. I believe I did an ok job, but not sure if this could be related to my rev problem. Also when the truck is running and just after cutting off, I can hear a sucking sound ?? coming from around the actual K&N Filter like maybe there is something there. The filter isn't completely sealed though is it? I mean it sucks in air an filters it right?

I'm sorry I don't help much I just really don't know were to begin.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Best Regards,
Blain

See less See more
#2 ·
Fixed it

I wanted to report back because I always hate when I search online and find the exact same problem that I have only to find out that it never has a solution.

I got no responses from this Forum or another one so I googled Free Auto Advice and found a guy named Scotty Kilmer that is based out of Houston.

I asked him the same question and he said that if the Fan Clutch is a cheap copy and not a OEM replacement that it could be bad and can effect shift points.

Well, it was a cheap replacement. So I think to myself maybe this guy is on to something.
I go outside, take the fan clutch off and replace with my original one that was on before. Take the truck for a test drive and what do ya know.....it's back to normal.

This guy saved my butt this time.

The down side is that now I have ordered a Mopar Fan clutch for over twice what the AutoZone one costed.

But if it means making my truck run right, it's worth it.

Anyway, I would have never thought a fan clutch would have this type of impact on the performance, but it does. So for anyone else replacing their fan clutch, don't skimp on it. Go original.

Regards,
Blain

#3 ·
Thanks for posting the update. It is always good to hear your problems get solved and how they get solved, a great benefit for everyone.

Now I will have to tuck that piece of information somewhere in my brain and hope I can recall it if a similar problem come ups.

#5 ·
Yeah rep points for the update. And for what its worth, the sensor going into the intake tube is the mass air flow sensor.

#6 ·
For what it's worth, I wonder if you weren't just hearing more noise from the fan (rather than actually having a change in the shift point). The shift point is based on throttle opening and output speed. That will not change, no matter what you do with the water pump / fan drive / etc. The relationship between engine speed and output speed (in 1st gear) will depend on the torque converter characteristics, but again if you didn't change the converter, that shouldn't change either.

So I suspect what you experienced had to be one of two things:
1) Either the trans was shifting at the same speed, but the new fan drive was spinning the fan up to a higher (louder) speed, so it SEEMED like the engine speed was higher, or
2) For some reason, you were having to step deeper into the throttle in order to get the same acceleration (which would, indeed, raise the shift poiint).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.