DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've got the single exhaust on my Ram, and wanted to know if I replaced the stock muffler with a Magnaflow or something if it would give me some more growl.... Eventually I want to replace the stock y-pipe and put a less restrictive one etc... Just want to know if anyone has done just the muffler, or if it's even worth it...

Thanks for the time guys, let me know what you think,.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
**Snkmug**

I took a look and I think im just going to get the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mufflex DODS14 Level-9 for now and see how that goes... Thanks for the suggestion though.... and if anyone has any thoughts or even has one of these on their truck already.. let me know..
thanks!!!!!
[/FONT]

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've got the 14" magnaflow on mine,love the sound of it.....Rob

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I went with the 18" Magnaflow, i just wanted to hear a bit of noise
The 14" is something i would have done 8 years ago, it is a bit more aggressive

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool beans, kinda think it's a pretty inexpensive mod for the nice sound you get out of it...and whatever small performance gains there are associated with more flow.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
The performance gains from just a muffler swap will be negligable, the stock is fairly freeflowing, but once you do the y-pipe you'll see a much bigger (though still small) gain. The biggest benefit is actually having your truck sound like it has a set of cajones rather than being tuned to 'granny getting the groceries'.

·
Registered
48 Posts
just do the muffler swap you will actually lose power with the y pipe on a fairly stock engine.call magnaflow they will even advise you against the y pipe unless you plan on doing some internal engine mods and headers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Never heard of this??

Hmm anyhow...I got a cherry bomb vortex muffler and magna flow y pipe installed last week. It sounds amazing. No drone while cruising at any speed and peace is disturbed at WOT.

FYI...I felt the rear end get loose through second at WOT...that did not happen while stock.

Research, research, research...then make up your mind.

Happy modding!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya i've been Googling like crazy, for now I just want to do a muffler, and that mufflex one sounds like it'll be right up my alley... Thanks for heads up on the y-pipe, engine mods etc will probably be a little down the road, as I've got a little one on the way in less than a month and my money is being saved for that... but $300 bucks ain't so bad and doesn't leave a hole in my wallet that Headers, y-pipe, custom exhaust would.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There are no headers or tuners yet for the 2012's anyway...

Seriously a Magnaflow Y pipe is 27 dollars. Get that and a muffler...research a muffler that flows well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yea thats a good idea buy the y pipe because it is only 27 dollars your truck will lose power.the exhaust company that makes the pipe recommends against putting it on truck unless engine mods are done.sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.but its only 27 dollars

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here ya go Turk...

Directly from Magnaflows website describing it's Y-pipes

"TRU-Y PIPE TRANSITIONS
MagnaFlow's stamped Y-Pipe transitions are ideal if you're looking to design your exhaust for a single inlet,dual outlet set up. Made of stainless steel, these Y-Pipes offer a gentler radius that allows for better balance between cylinder banks and consistent flow in tight constrained areas."

Hmmm...I did not lose any power at all. I feel good about replacing the horribly restrictive piping that came from the factory.

I am pretty sure anyone looking to do some more (serious) work on their motor, i.e., cam, pro charger, heads, tune, spray, headers, etc...would do a true dual exhaust system anyways.

I do not think adding a less restrictive y-pipe can be considered to much of a good thing...but it's 27 dollars!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did the Magnaflow 18" and the Express has the duals, nice rumble and with the K&N drop in filter the MDS comes on more often and I can give it more throttle before the MDS goes off. Enjoy your RAM!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had flowmaster, didn't like it...so I had it cut off and currently have no muffler, just the two resonators...don't like it either. lol. I guess a 14'' magnaflow will be next.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 18" magnaflow with resonators cut off. I think its perfect.
Not crazy loud on idle but WOT its really aggresive and there is barely a drone in the cab.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts