DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question to those that have replaced the dash speakers. When I popped off the grill and pulled out the left side speaker I noticed the wire wasn't very long and the speaker barely clears the dash opening. Is this normal or should there be more length on the wire, I'm afraid once I disconnect it that it may fall back into the opening. Also once I cut the factory connector off there won't be much to grab onto to solder on the new wire connectors.
How did you do this?

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
In my past I did some radio and speaker work. I had a set of medical clamps that I would lock onto those short wires to keep them from disappearing in the dash. Those wires are probably the correct length. A second set of hands might work to keep things from falling in or you could tape them up to the dash before you take them loose.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Yup....they're that short. :(
RedRam10 has a good idea. I have also used a 12" piece of welding rod and slipped between the wires. Since the rod can't fit though the hole, the connector stays available for you to curse at when trying to reconnect it. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys..... I think I will save the dash speakers for last when I'm more confident in replacing them.
I'll get the door speakers done first.
I don't suppose anyone makes an adapter that plugs into the factory speaker plug and gives you two wire leads to attach to the aftermarket speakers?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have decided to re-use the stock connectors from the dash speakers, all I need to do is pop off the connector from the old speaker and wire the new leads onto it that way I don't need to cut off the stock male connector and solder the wires together. Also there is already a capacitor attached to the connector.
I did notice the stock speakers are 8 ohm and the new ones are only 4ohm is this going to be a problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts