DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lock cylinder in the tailgate of my 2011 Sport is seized up. I'd like to replace it.

I called the dealer and priced out the part and they told me that the part was changed and I'd also need to replace a lever as well as the cylinder. They also said that they could rekey the cylinder to match the key for my doors.

Does anyone know what's involved in replacing the lock cylinder? It looks like a simple job - at least until they told me about needing to replace the lever as well.

I'd let he dealership do the work, but after it's all said and done I'm looking at over $300 just so that I can lock my tailgate.

Suggestions? Comments? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's easy. Just take off the panel on the tailgate and if you know how to use basic tools you shouldn't have a problem. If you do have a problem i'm sure there's a youtube video on it. Good luck!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
When I did a camera install on my 09, the new replacement handle lock came unkeyed. There were instructions on how to set it to your key. Very simple. turn one way then back the other, done. You only have one chance to get it right though. Came with security tape over the keyhole and a warning. I would think any replacement would be the same.

As far as replacing, it was all pretty simple once you have the tailgate cover plate off. Not sure what they are referring to as a "lever" that needs changed. If you had to replace the entire handle, it is also very easy. It's not as difficult as working in a door. Lots of room to work and get at everything in there.

Just a couple of notes. Did you try PB Blaster or the like in the lock to see if you can free it up? I'd spray it full and let it soak. Just be careful that whatever you use doesn't hurt the paint. And also, maybe check with another dealer and see what they say about buying a replacement lock. Don't mention it and see if they say anything about replacing a lever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts