DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to replace the driver side window motor and regulator in my 2000 ram 1500 and all the instructional videos and even some mechanic buddies of mine told me that you have to be able to roll the window down all the way to get access to the regulator to detach the glass from it in order to change it out but my problem is that my window is all the way up and it doesn’t work so how would I go about getting the window down to get access to the bolts on the regulator that are holding the window on?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I replaced the window regulator/motor in my wife's Jeep Liberty. Initially I wasn't able to roll the window down and the only thing I could find was to remove the bolts for the door panel (which is the window regulator), have a buddy hold the glass, pull the panel out enough so that you can reach in there with pliers to cut the cable so that the you can manually drop (carefully) the window to release the glass from the bracket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the window regulator/motor in my wife's Jeep Liberty. Initially I wasn't able to roll the window down and the only thing I could find was to remove the bolts for the door panel (which is the window regulator), have a buddy hold the glass, pull the panel out enough so that you can reach in there with pliers to cut the cable so that the you can manually drop (carefully) the window to release the glass from the bracket.
So I would have to cut the cable(circled in pic)that is attached to the motor?(stock pic included to show what I’m referring to)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you remove the motor you can move the glass/regulator. If there is nothing wrong with the regulator just replace the motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, that is power cord. Older regulators used AZ cable to raise/lower window. To lower window you will need to remove motor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can I tell if it’s just the window motor that’s gone bad or if it’s the regulator or both?

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it won't move it's a bad motor or a bound regulator (does it sound like it's trying to move the window or is there nothing at all when you hit the window switch?)

If it grinds when it moves then it's the regulator (possibly out of the track).

If it's slow it's a tired motor or the regulator needs to be lubed (or possibly out of track).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it won't move it's a bad motor or a bound regulator (does it sound like it's trying to move the window or is there nothing at all when you hit the window switch?)

If it grinds when it moves then it's the regulator (possibly out of the track).

If it's slow it's a tired motor or the regulator needs to be lubed (or possibly out of track).
No sounds or anything

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm no certified mechanic but it sounds like a bad switch, bad wiring, bad connection, or dead motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts