DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, we have a 2019 RAM Classic 1500. We need a solid drop in plastic bed liner. We have the crew cab, hence need the short bed liner. We also want to protect the paint so would need some sort of material that would go between the painted bed and the hard plastic liner. We have been quoted some truly outrageous prices for the liner, but, I will find "something" that will do the trick. I mainly am requesting advice based on your personal experience on the best overall bed liner to purchase. Every manufacturer makes the "Best" but only an owner really knows how much of a bargain it is and what the quality turns out to be. Any personal experiences you could offer would be much appreciated. Our RAM is only a couple weeks old and we are anxious to actually put it to work but my wife doesn't want any scratches on her new baby. Note:We would prefer to spend a little more for a real quality item rather than pinching pennies on a "bargain". Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
769 Posts
My experience with drop in bed liners, both with ones owned and ones my friends, family and co-workers have owned, is that there is not a single one that will prevent all moisture and dirt from getting between the liner and the bed. And then once it does, the dirt/grit/sand will scratch the paint as the bed liner moves around. You'll pull it out after x-years and find scratch/scuffed paint and even rust, where the water found the bare metal.

Frankly, the only way to avoid keeping the paint in the bed "flawless", is to never put anything in the bed.

The most effective bed liner I've had is my current Rhino lining. It's sprayed in, so you you immediately lose the color of your painted bed (I chose black, because it looked good on the black/red truck) and I even had it sprayed on the silver brushguard integral to my bumper. It is available in different colors, but maybe not exactly the color of your paint.

If you're dead set on a drop in liner, but don't want the dirt and water that's trapped underneath to damage your bed, I'd say you get the bed sprayed (was only $500 for my short-bed/with RAMBOX) with a spray liner and then you can drop in a less expensive plastic shell that you can beat the hell out of. When you take the liner out, the dirt/moisture will be there, but it will not have damaged your bed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the stock Pedaliner in my truck...does what it's supposed to and has held up great. I've had heavy loads of gravel, wood, construction debris, metal, etc. etc....and the Pedaliner hasn't blinked. I like the drop-in liners as I feel they provide better bed protection (dents). My buddy has the spray-in liner and he has dents everywhere in his bed. If you're not hauling much, the spray-in might be the way to go. If you're hauling loads that may damage the bed, might want to think about a drop-in liner.....

·
Registered
769 Posts
My buddy has the spray-in liner and he has dents everywhere in his bed. If you're not hauling much, the spray-in might be the way to go. If you're hauling loads that may damage the bed, might want to think about a drop-in liner.....
I'll confirm this. I have the Rhino lining, and love it, but I toss 50lb log sections in my bed and they do indeed dent the bed. I'm ok with dents, just not scratches that expose bare metal...which leads to rust. Frankly, I think dents in the bed add character. Shows that it's a truck being used as a truck, and not being used like the back of an SUV. I also do not have a cap or tonneau. Never seen one that doesn't leak anyway, so I just leave the bed exposed, all the more reason for a good spray-on liner.

·
Registered
676 Posts
See if anyone does "Bullet Liners" My Ram has it. Much cheaper than LineX. I can't tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
32,591 Posts
I have the Line-X spray in product
I also have a hard tonneau cover

If i didn't have the cover, & i was going to haul wood & gravel
I would buy a $99 bed mat to lay over the spray in liner

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
980 Posts
My experience with drop in bed liners, both with ones owned and ones my friends, family and co-workers have owned, is that there is not a single one that will prevent all moisture and dirt from getting between the liner and the bed. And then once it does, the dirt/grit/sand will scratch the paint as the bed liner moves around. You'll pull it out after x-years and find scratch/scuffed paint and even rust, where the water found the bare metal.

Frankly, the only way to avoid keeping the paint in the bed "flawless", is to never put anything in the bed.

The most effective bed liner I've had is my current Rhino lining. It's sprayed in, so you you immediately lose the color of your painted bed (I chose black, because it looked good on the black/red truck) and I even had it sprayed on the silver brushguard integral to my bumper. It is available in different colors, but maybe not exactly the color of your paint.

If you're dead set on a drop in liner, but don't want the dirt and water that's trapped underneath to damage your bed, I'd say you get the bed sprayed (was only $500 for my short-bed/with RAMBOX) with a spray liner and then you can drop in a less expensive plastic shell that you can beat the hell out of. When you take the liner out, the dirt/moisture will be there, but it will not have damaged your bed.
Thats why you make sure they fire krown between the liner and the bed.

I have never seen a truck bed rust out that was caused by a bed liner.

I prefer the OEM drop ins over the aftermarket liners.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll confirm this. I have the Rhino lining, and love it, but I toss 50lb log sections in my bed and they do indeed dent the bed. I'm ok with dents, just not scratches that expose bare metal...which leads to rust. Frankly, I think dents in the bed add character. Shows that it's a truck being used as a truck, and not being used like the back of an SUV. I also do not have a cap or tonneau. Never seen one that doesn't leak anyway, so I just leave the bed exposed, all the more reason for a good spray-on liner.
"Dents add character..Shows that it's a truck being used as a truck"

I like the way you think!! If I didn't have a bed liner already, I'd second that. Heck, I'll second it anyway... trucks are meant to work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts