DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Laramie with the "subdued exhaust note" (Dodge words, not mine) and I'd like just a little less calmness out of the sound. It's my wife's daily driver so I can't do what I'd really like to do. So what is the word on resonator vs muffler mods for this type of situation? My thought is that a resonator delete may be just enough (and cheaper!). Has anyone tried it and kept the stock muffler?

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
The resonator is what really stop the MDS system from causing the exhaust to sound like crap. If you want to louden it up a bit, keep the resonator, but get a short muffler. You already have a pretty free-flowing system on the 4th gens, so no real need to get a cat-back, a new muffler should get you the tone you want without scrapping most of the system.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The resonator is what really stop the MDS system from causing the exhaust to sound like crap. If you want to louden it up a bit, keep the resonator, but get a short muffler. You already have a pretty free-flowing system on the 4th gens, so no real need to get a cat-back, a new muffler should get you the tone you want without scrapping most of the system.
Interesting info from you guys. Thanks for the thread links and thoughts. I never would have thought about the MDS sound issue. I actually want the MDS eliminated as it drives me crazy and if I get a tuner it will be the first thing to go. But with this info, I am now even less sure about the resonator delete. I thought it was a clever alternative and now I have to rethink my position. Grrrrr.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
swapping out the muffler is relatively inexpensive

I got an estimate on mine about a week or two ago. A simple swap out of the stock muffler to a Flow Master 50 series, reusing everything that could (which should be pretty much everything) for $240 installed,

I just haven't had a chance to go and get it done yet.

Exco

·
Registered
220 Posts
You could always go with a slightly cheaper muffler also. I know everybody on here talks about Magnaflow, but there are plenty of good mufflers. I'm planning on putting a Thrush on mine. It's only a 3rd gen though...

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
If you shut off mds, you could take the resonators out for a bump in sound as well!
Exactly, I'd only keep the resonator if I was keeping the MDS system. If it's your wife's DD, the you might want to think about keeping it for the added fuel economy, unless you're like me, and say to hell with the environment and your extra cash :LOL:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly, I'd only keep the resonator if I was keeping the MDS system. If it's your wife's DD, the you might want to think about keeping it for the added fuel economy, unless you're like me, and say to hell with the environment and your extra cash :LOL:
Thanks 916Timmy, I might go with the res delete and see how that goes. It's cheap (2 straight pipes) and she (wife) will probably not notice the sound when MDS kicks in. I won't be getting a tuner for a while so I will be manually disabling the MDS every time I drive (Tow/Haul, manual shift, etc..
Thanks for the feedback again everyone, much appreciated.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks 916Timmy, I might go with the res delete and see how that goes. It's cheap (2 straight pipes) and she (wife) will probably not notice the sound when MDS kicks in. I won't be getting a tuner for a while so I will be manually disabling the MDS every time I drive (Tow/Haul, manual shift, etc..
Thanks for the feedback again everyone, much appreciated.
I think your both going to be dissapointed with the resonator delete.
If you think she or you wont notice your dreaming.
Your going to hate it.
Make sure you keep the resonator if you remove it,so you can put it back on.
A muffler swap is pretty much the only answer in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Straight pipes all the way out!!!! She'll never notice!! lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts