DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planing on doing proper exhuast and intake upgrades this summer but just out of curiosity. Has anyone tried just getting rid of the resonator (smaller second muffler). Anyone see any potential problems with doing this? Will it just sound terrible? I'm really itching for a new sound but need to save some money for a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My truck is an '08 1500 4x4 with the Hemi.
Exhuast is done only took a couple hours. Would have taken less if I had better weather and not gone out the night before. It sounds great! this is what I did.

First removed the exhaust hanger on the Resonator. spraying WD-40 on the posts help it slide of easily. Then removed the clamp at the muffler. I found the best way to remove the whole resonator assembly was to do to the back of the truck brace my leg against the tire and wiggle the whole assembly back and forth while pulling back on the tail pipe (be patient it will come off with some time and a little bit of umph). I picked up a 3" mandrel bent turn down from Jegs (http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/30642/10002/-1?parentProductId=752880) I cut off the expanded end and it slid into the muffler with a little motivation it fits. Make sure you have it pointed in the direction you want before sliding the turn down in, it won't move much once it's in. Tighten the stock clamp back down and your good to go.

It sounds great, not overly aggressive and little or no drone on the highway. sounds great when accelerating or at idle. Overall cost $20, can't complain about the cost or sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live kinda close to the highway so my video didn't work too well I'll try to post one soon.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I removed it a while ago and love it. It's not really a whole lot louder, but it does give it a deeper, throatier growl. I love it! I cut mine off right at the end of the bend going down right behind the rear axle. I weled the old tip from the tailpipe back on right there at the cut. Exactly how I wanted it. It hides the tip under the box and in my opinion gives it a much cleaner look. Just go ahead and do it, you won't regret it. I used the existing hangers too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Doing it tomorrow, see how it turns out>

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday sitting at a light downtown, some guy in a Toyota was revving his engine trying to make some noise. I put it in neutral and shut him up. Having all the buildings around for the sound to echo off of made for one great sound.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Far from being classified as obnoxious. I can happily post "obnoxious" if you like.

At idle, really doesn't sound that loud at all.... or even bad. The clip's clearly a cold-start so it's going to sound significantly louder then it normally would under warm idle.

Would like to hear that at WOT... though I'm thinking "raspy" could come into play.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Far from being classified as obnoxious. I can happily post "obnoxious" if you like.

At idle, really doesn't sound that loud at all.... or even bad. The clip's clearly a cold-start so it's going to sound significantly louder then it normally would under warm idle.

Would like to hear that at WOT... though I'm thinking "raspy" could come into play.
sorry for my single person cell phone video....I'll be sure to do it better when I get back from Korea

1 - 12 of 12 Posts