DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking forward getting a fifth wheel next year and did buy my truck this year. Love my 2018 3500 Mega Cab. I'm wanting to get a RetraxPro but in real need of knowing will most fifth wheel hitches allow ( slider, I have a 6 1/2 bed ) the cover to open and close. Does anyone have this cover on their Ram and can you close it with the hitch in the bed.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Looking forward getting a fifth wheel next year and did buy my truck this year. Love my 2018 3500 Mega Cab. I'm wanting to get a RetraxPro but in real need of knowing will most fifth wheel hitches allow ( slider, I have a 6 1/2 bed ) the cover to open and close. Does anyone have this cover on their Ram and can you close it with the hitch in the bed.

Thanks
I do not have the same cover you do but saw pictures of it on several websites. In my bed, I have auto-slider fifth wheel hitch and my cover, which sits level on the top of the bed rails like the cover you are looking at, clears the hitch.

What could change this, if you have to set the fifth wheel plate equal to or above the bed rails albeit I've never seen one set that high. Typically, fifth wheel plates are set between 17 and 19 inches above the bed floor to obtain a level truck/trailer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the advantage hard hat. I bought it when I had a Ram 1500 ecodiesel so when we decided to go with a new truck and fifth wheel, I didn’t know if it would work. We put the new b&w in last Friday and the bed cover is actually in the way when setting the bottom part of the hitch in place. So we took it off, set the hitch and then put it back on. Looks like it will work fine with the fifth wheel. This cover folds up in thirds and it covers the hitch fine so you don’t know it’s in the bed. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2015 6 1/2 bed Husky slider with the Retrax Pro (Metal Version) I have had it since 15, no problems with the 5th wheel when I unhitch at the Camp site just close the retrax, use the bed to store items

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
its works for me. retrax with the B&W companion. i can close it up to the front of the hitch when connected to the 5er with no obstructions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the puck in my 2018 ram 3500 and I put on a Reese Goose box. It pulls like a dream, you don't even fell it back there. The fifth wheel weighs in at around 14000. It has air bag and two shocks. When you unhook you don't have the fifth wheel hitch you have a flat bed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is an old thread, but I have what you describe.

2016 Ram 2500 Laramie, 6/5 foot bed.
Retrax Pro
I have the 5th wheel prep, and Demco Hijacker hitch (auto slider).

The tonneau closes over the hitch... It is close, but it closes no problem.

If you need pics, I can share.

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts