DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anybody had purchased the nightvision kit from retro solutions. They make a kit specific for my 2011 Ram, but I was wondering if you still had to buy a relay to stop the flickering issue.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
i have retro solutions kit and i love them i do not know if its the nightvisions or not but they came with all the extra wiring harness for them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I read a lot of good things about retrosolutions kit so I went ahead and ordered a 6000k set. Can't wait to get em hooked up now

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the kit today. I've spent the last four hours installing it, but neither headlight functioned. I believe I installed properly so I'll just have to take a look again tomorrow. If anybody has any suggestions I'd be more than happy to listen.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
try swapping the 2 wires on the plug in around if possible. I had mine reversed and that was causing it to not work.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was just in there this weekend doing fogs. I would do the following.

Check power at the relay. The spade closest to the mount should have 12v I believe. I am guessing you have two relays. One for highs and another for lows. 12v on that spade on both?? 20vdc on the meeter from spade to ground.

There should be a ground wire on each of the relays. Grounded?? Verify with an ohm meeter if necessary.

Turn on the low's. Did you hear the relay? No?? Seeing as you checked and fixed any power issues above it should be the switch connection.

On the power and relay side of the truck you should have the connection from the truck (that was going to the bulb) connected to a connector going to the relay. The wire coming back from the relay goes into the ballast. The ballast connects to the bulb. On the other side you connect the harness to the ballast and the ballast to the light. Just tuck the truck connector in somewhere.

Hmmm, we are going to need to punt if you get here and have no light.

mikeski...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I got em workin...kinda. The lows work great, but when I hit the highs, the lows shut off and just the driver's side high comes on. I have the dual headlights, bi-xenon. I'll have to mess with it more tomorrow.

Mikeski, I had just the one relay for the harness. I had another two pin plug in with a male and female connection and a resistor connected to a ground in it. I believe it was supposed to go to the passenger side if I did not have the relay, because my headlight plug ins are three pin from the truck. I might be wrong and that's why the highs aren't working. I'm gonna call retro tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ahhhh, I thought you had the 4 bulb setup. I'm not sure which versions have "which(said with my best Stewy voice)".

It should be the same deal for the 3 wire. Truck connector to relay, Relay to Ballast and ballast to light. Harness to the other ballast and ballast to light. Your lows will come on when you turn on the lights. The bright switch should engage the relay and turn on the second element leaving the first element on

mikeski

Reactions: 954rrmike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. I think I got it working. Lows and highs work, but lows still shut off when highs come on. I'm not sure if this is just how they're supposed to work or not. I emailed retro today, so hopefully I'll have a response tomorrow.

·
Registered
340 Posts
On my 2012 the 4 lights stay on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a reply from retro. They said that's the way the lights are programmed to work. They did say, however, there is a fix. They said you can attach a diode to the bulb and they are going to send instructions. Hopefully all works well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts