DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I come here to vent/ask a simple question...I have a lightbar that has a wire that be spliced into the reverse light to make the lightbar light white when the truck is in reverse...simple right? Ok so I used a quick splice and spliced into the white wire with the red stripe on it behind the driver side taillight AND....nothing changed. The reverse light is still not working on the lightbar. Am I missing something?? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can pick up the reverse power on the trailer connector at the center post. If I remember right the color should be purple. It would be better to connect at the plug.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
If you send a positive to the white wire does the light bar light up the white LED's?

If you take a test light to the wire you spliced into does it light up the test light when you put it in reverse?

you my have gotten the ground wire off your reverse light.

yes you can use as indicated by 82 corvette the center pin of the 7 pin trailer wire, the purple one is also correct

·
8,070 Posts
If you send a positive to the white wire does the light bar light up the white LED's?

If you take a test light to the wire you spliced into does it light up the test light when you put it in reverse?

you my have gotten the ground wire off your reverse light.

yes you can use as indicated by 82 corvette the center pin of the 7 pin trailer wire, the purple one is also correct
I just hooked up a backup camera yesterday and used the reverse wire in the 7 pin harness and it was white with a red tracer. It's possible that they've changed the wiring colors over the years though :4-dontknow:

OP, I would definitely do what Asur said. Try hooking up the lights to an external power source first to see if they even turn on. That way you can eliminate the lights as the problem. Also, LED lights do only work if they're hooked up one way.... you did hook them up correctly right? Not backwards?....

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
What brandon said is also correct, it may be different on other years as far as the color goes, just grab pin 7, the center pin you will be good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for the help. Im new to the "do it yourself" projects on the truck but im learning lol but so on the 7 pin, do what now?? I just go in the back of it and splice to the purple wire that im guessing ill find when i get under and look??? As of now i just have it plugged into the 4 pin with the hookup that it comes with....thanks again for the help i am a "newb"

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
so on the 7 pin, do what now?? I just go in the back of it and splice to the purple wire that im guessing ill find when i get under and look??? As of now i just have it plugged into the 4 pin with the hookup that it comes with....thanks again for the help i am a "newb"

I created this really ugly image when I installed my light bar. It goes along with a "how to" that I wrote up. Here is a link to it.

Hopefully this will make things a little bit easier for you. I would also highly recommend picking up an inexpensive multi-meter. These can save you a lot of time and aggravation when it comes to doing any sort of electrical mods. They can be had starting at about $20 for an analog one and the price goes up to pretty much what ever you're willing to spend for a digital.

good luck and keep us updated

Exco

Reactions: oldhp

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
thank you all for the help. Im new to the "do it yourself" projects on the truck but im learning lol but so on the 7 pin, do what now?? I just go in the back of it and splice to the purple wire that im guessing ill find when i get under and look??? As of now i just have it plugged into the 4 pin with the hookup that it comes with....thanks again for the help i am a "newb"
Reps for doing it yourself :smileup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
not to jack the thread, but what brand lite bar would you guys recommend???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jlc..I got the recon 60" one its very easy to install coming right from factory if you want to just plug it into the 4pin you have for the trailor my only problem has been this dang reverse wire but I would deff go with the recon. with the reverse light and learn from this thread on how to do it. Thank you excoastie i will use that as a guide!:smileup: It seems pretty dummy proof

1 - 12 of 12 Posts