DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days into my purchase of a RAM SLT Big Horn CC I'm questioning whether I should have opted for the navigation in the 8.4a system. For those who have it I'd be interested to hear some comments and impressions.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did the upgrade and it works great. It only took the dealer about 15min to do the update.

The only thing i don't like is when you upgrade you can't use voice commands where as the 8.4an you can.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No, just for the Nav.

Another thing I noticed is that it didn't have any of the following options under Map Setup:

1. Traffic Message Control
2. Speed and Flow
3. 3D City Models
4. 3D Landmarks

It has them in the manual as options for 8.4a. I don't know if it is because I am in Canada or if those options only come with the higher trims like Sport and Laramie, I got the Big Horn.

They are important features but they would be nice to have.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The other thing is the upgrade is something like $600. I got upgraded for free from my dealer for a mishap with my order.

For the price I am not sure I would have gotten it though.

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
I am glad that nav upgrade works for you
did they also give you the latest radio update, the one that actually works ?

some service advisers are more sales oriented than others
they may try to tell you that you need to update the Nav maps every year or two
i talked to the people that made most of the maps & distribute them to everyone else, i was told most updates are not for the road map, but for the Points of Interest, businesses & other stuff along the roads

i have had my current map for about 3 years & in late July i am going across the USA.
New roads have been built, several areas are now putting Loops around large metro areas, so i will get an map update before i take my trip this year
I would get it now, but the website reads Out of Stock
the map upgrade for my Ram will cost $180, after taxes & shipping

·
Registered
277 Posts
They didn't update the radio, just unlocked the Nav portion. I haven't checked to see what software version came from the factory but I haven't had any problems with it so I haven't been looking to upgrade the software.

I assume you go to the UConnect site to order map updates or do you order them through the dealer?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The only real dislike about the factory nav is the slowness. Entering an address, it seems to take FOREVER to load after each letter. Otherwise, its good :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts