DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
Did a search and found some great threads on mirror replacement, but I have a question when it comes to the connectors on the back-side of the RHS mirror.

My truck: 2010 Laramie 1500 4x4 5.7L Crew Cab - Tow/Haul Pkg - Std. Mirrors (non-sliding/extended mirrors)

I ordered the replacement "Dodge RAM 2009-2016 Heated Power Mirror Glass Right Passenger with Backing Plate" from eBay before I ever removed the old mirror.

As you can see from the pictures, the replacement mirror only has the two pins for the two small grey wires w/ connectors.

However, the original RHS mirror has another pair of wires (Black & Brown) that come into a connector, and each wire leaves the connector and terminates along the top and bottom of the mirror (see picture). The replacement mirror doesn't have these wires...and I don't know what they do.

I've looked for wiring diagrams, but have come up empty so far.

So, I buttoned everything up, the mirror position via the door buttons works fine.

The reverse-tilt function for the RHS mirror no longer works, but that might be a programming issue.

I have looked for any replacement mirrors that have these black & brown wire connector, but haven't found one yet.

I watched a video where the guy had a Loghorn with the brown/black connector, but he didn't know the function of the wires - he bought an entire mirror assembly from a junkyard to replace the broken mirror.

Anyone have a clue what these wires do, or where I can find a wiring diagram that I can look through?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
The basic mirror does not have auto dimming, but it likely does have heating

The auto tilt is a function of the mirrors motor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, those wires just might be auto-dimming. I can certainly live without it.
Now I just need to read up on how I reset the passenger mirror to auto-tilt, which is bothering me since the driver-side auto-tilts.

thanks for the quick reply.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
When I replaced my hated and auto dimming glass I replaced it with a heated, non-dimming pane. I just taped off the dimming wires, auto-dim isn't a feature I use anyway.

My replacement looks like yours, is it the FitSystem one off Amazon?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
When I replaced my hated and auto dimming glass I replaced it with a heated, non-dimming pane. I just taped off the dimming wires, auto-dim isn't a feature I use anyway.

My replacement looks like yours, is it the FitSystem one off Amazon?
I looks exactly the same as the FitSystem 30244, but KapaAutomotive on eBay had it for $20 and free shipping, so I took a $20 gamble.

I didn't even know mine were auto-dimming until this thread. Tell you the truth, I don't mind the brighter replacement mirror - the auto-dimming one was a bit yellow.

The only thing I can't figure out is why reverse-tilt function only works on the Driver side now. I went through the menu and toggled the feature on/off, but it had no effect.

Hoping someone here can offer some advice - I happen to like the reverse-tilt function and got used to it.

BTW, that's a beauty of a truck in your profile pic. I still maintain that only the Rams look good in white.

thanks,
Steve

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I looks exactly the same as the FitSystem 30244, but KapaAutomotive on eBay had it for $20 and free shipping, so I took a $20 gamble.

I didn't even know mine were auto-dimming until this thread. Tell you the truth, I don't mind the brighter replacement mirror - the auto-dimming one was a bit yellow.

The only thing I can't figure out is why reverse-tilt function only works on the Driver side now. I went through the menu and toggled the feature on/off, but it had no effect.

Hoping someone here can offer some advice - I happen to like the reverse-tilt function and got used to it.

BTW, that's a beauty of a truck in your profile pic. I still maintain that only the Rams look good in white.

thanks,
Steve
Thanks!

The tilting and motorized functions are controlled by the base the glass pane attaches to, IDK if you may have tweaked it during the install, my truck isn't fancy enough to have that feature, though I just need to lean forward to see my rear tire in the bottom inboard corner of the mirror.

FWIW the replacement still looks like new 2 years later

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
Try to make sure the motor didn't get tweaked during the glass install. Try to position the mirror up as far as it will go with the internal controls...then all the way back down .. and left and right. Then with the mirror full up see if it moves down in reverse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went through the limits yesterday, but I may take some time and try it again tomorrow...and since it's a simple job, I may just take the glass off again and check that I didn't screw something up on the mount.

Thanks for the reply!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts