DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, this is my second thread on the Ram Forum

I am outfitting my truck with tires to handle the harsh conditions on rig roads in northern Alberta. My stock Goodyear Wranglers have taken a beating since I got my truck with 2 ripped side walls and 2 punctures.

These are some tires I was checking out:

-BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO

-BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A

-Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

-Goodyear Wrangler M/T R Kevlar

-Firestone Destination M/T

-Nitto Trail Grappler M/T

-Kumho Road Venture M/T

-Federal Couragia M/T

Is there one tread that stands out from the rest? Is there any I should avoid? Did I put too much time and effort into this? Appreciate your comments and insight.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a lot of experience with the BFG Mud/Terrain tires and have found them to be fantastic off roaders, though tread life leaves something to be desired. Think I got around 30k miles on my last set. Not terrible for an aggressive off road tire but when they are pricey it stings (they are cheaper of you get the older version and not the updated KM2 model, though you will be limited in sizes). Since you're in Canada I should note that all my off roading with them was in mud, sand, rock, and desert...I can't vouch for them on snow or ice.

Later this year I plan on taking my family back out to Big Bend on the Texas/Mexico border and I think I'm going to ask Santa to bring me an early gift of some BFG All Terrains. I dont want to be stuck out in the boonies on the border but I also don't need something quite as aggressive as the Mud/Terrains. Plus I think the All Terrains will be more pleasant on the highway and have a longer tread life.

I'm sure others will have their pet brands but I'm partial to BFG since they've gotten me out of some sticky situations. I know a few board members have the All Terrains on their Rams so they might share their experiences with them. One thing we can all agree on is that the stock Goodyear SR-As were a ridiculous tire to put on a 4wd vehicle.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've used the BF Goodrich AT's on several vehicles. I've had good tread live and they have performed well both on and off road winter and summer. That's my two cents worth.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I don't know about the rest but the Nitto is a 10 ply tire. Seems to me you may need a near bullet proof tire. I am a little leery of any product that says "With Brand X." Most of the time it is a marketing tool because of name recognition. Just because it was made with Kevlar doesn't mean it has enough Kevlar to have all the properties of Kevlar.

Thanks for the pics. I run the Nitto because I got one hell of a deal on the tires and wheels used. I am looking forward to a Minnesota winter with them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
All of the MT's are going to be terrible on ice or any slippery road conditions. But good in deep snow.

Of the ones you have listed, I have run the BFG AT/KO's the most, have worn out I'm honestly not even sure how many sets. But I've got at least 300,000 miles experience on them.

Have the Duratrac's on my 1500 right now.

Have also run the MT/R's, both the current Kevlar and the older version - which I personally liked better - when siped they were almost as good on slippery roads as the BFT AT/KO, but better in deeper snow and any kind of loose terrain.

On my second set of BFG KM2's on my Jeep right now and they are my favorite tire for the Jeep. But, it doesn't have to get driven on slippery, icy highways very often. Love the KM2's for just about everything BUT slick highways. They scare me on a Jeep when the roads are slick.

Had the old version of the Kumhos, thought they were a FANTASTIC tire for the money, but, again, they were an MT and really good offroad in rocks, dirt, loose terrain, deep snow, etc. But TERRIBLE on slick roads.

Anyway... I have no idea what a "rig road" is or what kind of driving conditions you'll face. But if it's going to be hard packed snow and ice, I'd avoid any MT. They are the WORST for those conditions.

I'd probably go with either the BFG AT/KO, or maybe the Duratracs. But, you are dealing with sidewall rips and punctures. With either of those, they are only 10 ply rated in certain sizes. So make sure you get one of the sizes that is. Otherwise, choose another tire that you can get in a 10 ply rating for the size you want. On both tires, the sidewalls are three ply in the E ratings, but only two ply in the others - and I've had plenty of ripped BFG sidewalls to attest to the weakness of the two ply versions.

Edit: I think I got that wrong on the AT/KO sidewalls, now that I think about it. They used to be two ply, but started being marketed as "tri guard", three ply sidewalls at some point. I AM sure that most of the sizes are not E (10 ply) rated, but think that the sidewalls on them are all three ply.

- DAA

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have run BFG AT's for over 35 years and have never had an issue with them. They have taken me into some very bad country on many logging roads and into some areas with no roads. I am currently running a set on my '03 Jeep and my '13 Ram.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Let me know what you decide to go with and how they work out for you. I know guys up there running all of those but the Federal's and Kumho's you listed. I know those rig roads can be the worst out there even under 'ideal' conditions. Stay safe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi, this is my second thread on the Ram Forum

I am outfitting my truck with tires to handle the harsh conditions on rig roads in northern Alberta. My stock Goodyear Wranglers have taken a beating since I got my truck with 2 ripped side walls and 2 punctures.

These are some tires I was checking out:

-Goodyear All Terrain T/A KO

-Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

-Goodyear Wrangler M/T R Kevlar

-BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A

-Firestone Destination M/T

-Nitto Trail Grappler M/T

-Kumho Road Venture M/T

-Federal Couragia M/T

Is there one tread that stands out from the rest? Is there any I should avoid? Did I put too much time and effort into this? Appreciate your comments and insight.
While it's not on your list, I'd take a serious look at BF ALL Terrains...I had them on my last couple of trucks and will be putting them on this one as well. They were awesome in the snow, mud, rain and have a nice look to 'em.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
First of all,

Thank you everyone for your overwhelming and detailed responses! I had no idea people who use this forum were so helpful and thorough with their experiences and comments.

Concerning the tires, after much consideration, research, both on and off the web, conversations with my associates, threads on Ram Forumz, and messages to my "truck friends" back home, I have made my decision. A lot of people have recommended the *Nitto Trail Grapplers* to withstand the "rig roads" (road leading to oil/gas drilling rig 10km-200km of the worst road conditions). They seem to be the best overall choice when I consider:
-Traction off road (dirt, gravel, rocks, mud, slush, snow, steep hills/turns)
-Durability off road (sharp rocks, tire ruts)
-Sidewall durability (sharp rocks in tire ruts)
-Highway fuel economy (HEMI with M/T's...)
-Highway comfort (supposedly pretty great)
-Highway noise (also heard they weren't bad)
-Tire tread wear (not a concern, I'll replace them every year if I have to)

They weren't my first choice, actually the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's were but I am going to give the Nitto's a go this time around and see how things work out. The most important thing on your truck is what's between it and the road so I don't think there is such thing as too much thought and effort when it comes to tires.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
It may be too late, but I'll throw my 0.02 in. Having driven the very roads you're looking at for the better part of 8 years I've found only 2 tires that I will trust with the VERY variable terrain we can encounter.

My first choice is always the Toyo M-55. Probably the best all-round tire for the patch, 10 ply, can be aired down to 45psi when required, wear rate on heavy grave/rubble/cutline roads is around 50,000km on my sets. I've only destroyed 2 of these tires, and one took a broken box-end wrench through the sidewall at 100km/hr on a lease road.

My next option is the BFG T/As. They didn't last as long as the M55s, but they did kick mud out better, however their ice traction wasn't as good.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My next option is the BFG T/As. They didn't last as long as the M55s, but they did kick mud out better, however their ice traction wasn't as good.
If ice traction is going to be a concern, the OP really should have the Trail Graps siped. As they come out of the box, he's absolutely going to hate them on any kind of slippery road surface.

- DAA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts