DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I was wondering if you can remove the right side axle with the u joint and still be able to drive it safely, it seems mine might be bad and I cant get a new one for a couple of days since I have to order one. I have heard you can drive it and then I have heard you cant and shouldnt. Any suggestions would be great, thanks :)

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
To be quite honest...I just helped another member with a similar problem.

I know he had a bad axle and the other was MIA when he started working on the truck. With the axle removed I don't possibly know how you would keep the gear oil in the differential.

That would equate to driving with the front diff dry, and that can't possibly be good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the right side axle is basically a axle for 4wd drive and I dont know how it would affect the oil in the diff- just saying, because you are not losing any oil or lubication from the 4wd housing or diff housing in any way. I just want to remove it for a short time so I can get a new one and dont want the old in there while Im driving and the axle bouncing around making noise and grinding/vibrating :( and defiantly dont wont to leave my shift fork in the while it is grinding/vibrating and snap the fork again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Doesn't the right side have an intermediate shaft? There's no seal on the hub side, there must be one on the diff side? What I would do if you HAVE to drive it is pull BOTH shafts, left and right. Then you will have nothing spinning since the diff would only spin if you had the t-case engaged instead of having one shaft spinning the diff and splashing gear oil around. Just a thought...

And yeh, I'm the guy that Warlock has been helping so I'm not completely an expert by any stretch of the imagination...might be by the time all of this is done :i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the right side doesnt attach to anything UNLESS it is in 4wd when the shift fork and collar are engaged. That is the only way there is something attached to the diif axle. I dont know, i guess I will have to take it apart and examine it real good before I make that decision. I will be ordering a new axle shaft for the right side cause I think it is worn out and causing a vibration/grinding while I drive(and if that doesnt fix my problem then it has to be the hub-bearing assembly and that is only a year old).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Is it the shaft or the just u-joint? If it's just the joint (splines are ok on shaft), I'd just replace the joint since it's only about $12, the complete shaft starts at about $250 and goes up to over $500 depending on where you buy it.

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
Well then the only question I have is this:

What do the splines on the axle go into and why is there gear oil on them when you pull the axle?

So the point I'm trying to make is this:

When the front axle assembly is disassembled, i.e. right axle removed...that leaves a big gaping hole where the axle (the wet end) goes through the seal and into the differential.

I was trying to put it shortly in the original post...however if the axle-shaft is removed and there's nothing taking it's place in the hole that is left. How is the gear oil going to stay in? Regardless of if it's engaged or not, with the axle shaft in place it is dependent on the inner seal to retain the lubricant and seals around the shaft...

I understand that if the front rear is not engaged the gear oil is basically just laying in the bottom of the differential cover. So at the bare minimum I'd stuff a rag or something in there (outer end) if not just to keep debris out.

So I'd say yes it's theoretically possible to remove the shaft and drive the truck without any further damage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, the u joint is new and good. I think it is the axle shaft itslef cause I just put in a brand new shift fork and collar with clips on it and now one of the clips came off and there are marks on the new shift fork so I had to take them out before they break again :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On my 2001 dodge ram 1500, I have a axle coming out of my diff in the axle housing where when you engage the 4wd with the right axle in place the collar come over both axles and engages them. So there is no hole when you pull the right side axle out. I understand what you are saying and I will examine the housing and axle out tomorrow when I take it out myself to be sure. It is always great having input and suggestions from other members with different years :).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.