DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Maybe slightly sharper handling response as their is less side wall to rollover in the turns with a 22" rim. The difference wouldn't be much as the 20" tires don't have a lot of sidewall to begin with especially since they want to a 32" tire from a 33" tire this year.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Only 1500 miles on 22s vs 6000 miles on 20s however comparing to a 4th gen. 20s hands down ride winner. Perhaps its the 5th gen chassis but the 4th gen 20 ride was more stable, smooth and rarely a busy suspension thing going on. 5th with 22 not so. The 4th gen air suspension did take a little time to break in so I'll report back if things change. 22 does pass on the wife meter and I love the look but from a ride perspective the 20 was a clear winner. IMO and for the miles I've done. Would I go to 20 , No. But if I was more offroad stuff yes for sure.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Please do yourself a favor and go test drive one. Man, you are going to get so many different opinions. I've been on 22s for over 5-6 years and I see no difference at all. Sure, some of this will depend on the usage of your truck, quality of roads where you live, etc. But I was in the Army and have traveled to many places with 22s......good roads, bad roads, etc. No problems. I've had my Longhorn about 24 hours and I don't feel like I shouldn't have gotten 22s.

The overall measurements are not that different anyway. And a good quality tire matters a lot.....so, you have to compare apples to apples. Same make/model, same year make/model, same brand rubber and rim.

As for prices .....order from tirerack.com and pay no taxes and then get crazy discount on their partner/installers in your local town.

I live in a military town and 22s is extremely common and you can imagine that there are ppl from around the world using their trucks for different applications.

All of us are giving subjective answers, so you really have to decide for yourself. Smooth vs not smooth, quiet vs ....loud, etc. We all have our own "meter"

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
In general terms, more wheel and less sidewall usually means stiffer sidewalls for less roll when cornering, and you can also run larger brake calipers.. More sidewall protects the wheels better from impacts-a heavy load on a thin sidewall tire means that a pothole can deform or break a wheel fairly easily. Also you'll get a bit better ride and better wheel protection from curbs, and you can air down for sand

·
Registered
247 Posts
In general terms, more wheel and less sidewall usually means stiffer sidewalls for less roll when cornering, and you can also run larger brake calipers.. More sidewall protects the wheels better from impacts-a heavy load on a thin sidewall tire means that a pothole can deform or break a wheel fairly easily. Also you'll get a bit better ride and better wheel protection from curbs, and you can air down for sand
I'm new to Ram, but I gotta tell you. Your "less roll" caught my eye. Man, I took some off ramps yesterday and this dang truck barely rolled at all. I know the suspension is supposed to be very nice compared to what I Left (GMC). I always replace my GMC suspension with Bilstein 5100 to rid the body roll........I'm pleasantly surprised that I don't have to do that this time. Coming from german cars, I like the "car like" cornering of this Ram. I opted out of the "air suspension" after test driving both long term.

As for the 22s .....I just much prefer the look, but I usually go to a taller tire to help with the curb protection you mentioned. I'm not going to this time....this truck just rides too good to change anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts