DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is this not available for the 11 and 12 models of truck. Since Diablo has cracked the code for tuning, can you adapt a tune for my 2012. If so, I will pick one up, also if you need, I can drive to you guys for a specific dyno tune if needed, just where are you located.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hodgeee

I tried putting the 2011 Kit in the basket, and it works with that promo code. It is 300 USD higher due to the Trinity being included. However, as you stated RIPP doesn't have the tune ready for the 2012 (I believe).

I'd buy one, but sadly I cannot afford it, even on sale lol

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'm gonna ask kind of a dumb question...as I'm completely ignorant when it comes to FI add ons.

How come a supercharger for a ram only adds around 120 HP..?? don't other cars that are supercharged get boosted almost a couple hundred HP? or am i hearing wrong. I was joking with my buddy about gettin a SC for my truck and he said "i wouldn't pay all that for only 120 hp, a super charger should get more i think"

mind u we aren't experts...thats why Im asking...whats the story with super charging these trucks as opposed to other vehicles

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna ask kind of a dumb question...as I'm completely ignorant when it comes to FI add ons.

How come a supercharger for a ram only adds around 120 HP..?? don't other cars that are supercharged get boosted almost a couple hundred HP? or am i hearing wrong. I was joking with my buddy about gettin a SC for my truck and he said "i wouldn't pay all that for only 120 hp, a super charger should get more i think"

mind u we aren't experts...thats why Im asking...whats the story with super charging these trucks as opposed to other vehicles
+120 additional HP measured at the wheel. Not rated at the engine total additional as rated at the engine is approximately 140-150 additional HP or a whole honda civic more!!!

RIPP

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
+120 additional HP measured at the wheel. Not rated at the engine total additional as rated at the engine is approximately 140-150 additional HP or a whole honda civic more!!!

RIPP
so is that pretty respectable in the truck world? an addition 120 HP from a SC?? I guess I need to ride in a supercharged ram to really know what it feels like! I'm sure it's great, no doubt..i was just curious

·
Registered
136 Posts
so is that pretty respectable in the truck world? an addition 120 HP from a SC?? I guess I need to ride in a supercharged ram to really know what it feels like! I'm sure it's great, no doubt..i was just curious

That's pretty respectable. Most vehicles making crazy power from FI are running huge turbos with huge turbo lag with upgraded internals and fuel management.
Ripp being a bolt on yourself with a generic tune. I also trust ripp to find a balance of power and reliability. Something you'd lose with huge boost. I think it's def worth it.
-Hopefully they have a sale and have the 2012's lined out after my rzr is paid off and all my ducks are in a row. lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
Most intercooled FI systems I have seen and bought twice now, usually will give you a 50% increase in power without too much effect. I Superchared my old GMC 1500 and went from 285hp to 440hp, not much faster than my truck now, warped my Factory converter blew out the vanes, got aftermarket, burned up the clutch plates, got blue plate specials, blew up my driveshaft(huge dent in my bed and muffler from catback had to be replaced, huge hole in it) got a heavy duty light weight aluminum replacement. Kenny Bell system, all these problems within 36,000 miles of use. Finally just sold truck.

Imagine this if it gave the same 50%, almost 600hp, 550hp is pretty bad ass my friend, and with the way the Dodge is built, I don't think you will run into the same problems as I did on my GMC, and I think a little more conservative is better. $4000 for this system at todays prices for what these go for, its a steal! Even if you put all the bolt ons your truck and got it custom dyno tuned, you be lucky to get half of what they supercharger would give you. So, just depends what you want to do, and those numbers are also on a stock truck, so enhanceers like header and what not will only help make more.

There is one problem though, Dodge used race or nascar style piston in this truck, with a light weight piston that is pretty thin on its stricking face, and has all the rings really tightly close together and closer to the top lip of the piston. This does not make for a good supercharging setup, but is really good for higher rpm use and good compression, low friction, which equals faster rpm ramp up. I am not saying you can't supercharge the truck, just not the best setup, I wouldn't have a problem with this supercharger, Ripp does some A-1 stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts

RIPP
I like to analogy that made me lol, "a whole honda civic more!!!" thats is great lol

Jeremiah

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
thanks for the info guys. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's like anything else. I put Nitrous on my Grand National, a 100HP kit, and blew a cylinder, the head gasket, and the pipe under the hood (ten times)

Did it run low 12s? Sure. Will the Ram? Even with 120HP, you'll be lucky to see low 13s. And the potential tranny problems is a deal-breaker for me. No thanks.

*Cliff

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
It's like anything else. I put Nitrous on my Grand National, a 100HP kit, and blew a cylinder, the head gasket, and the pipe under the hood (ten times)

Did it run low 12s? Sure. Will the Ram? Even with 120HP, you'll be lucky to see low 13s. And the potential tranny problems is a deal-breaker for me. No thanks.

*Cliff
That depends, are we talking about a fat ass Crew Cab or a Regular Cab lol Keep in mind these trucks are around 6000 pounds. That's a lot of metal to be hauling down a track. Even so I know many 4th Gen owners who go out to the track and run their trucks. All motor, bolt ons, higher gears and sticky tires these trucks are capable of high 13's low 14's at the track depending if your a regular cab or if you opted for the 2 extra doors. Depending on the amount of Nitrous you run you can go anywhere from mid 13's to low 12's on a stock motor with no problems. Our transmissions will go out before the motor will as they seem (from what I've read here on here and other forums) to be alright up until the 550+ HP range. But hey you ask any vehicle engineer these days if they designed there Truck transmissions to be able to take that much of a Torque beating constantly and I'm pretty sure they'll just look at you crazy and tell you no. The days of over building vehicles is over. Now everything is more about cost effectiveness rather than making it bullet proof.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts