DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a CB and a Wilson mobile booster in my truck and I want to put the antennas on the roof since that is far and away the best for reception.

I've always drilled holes for my antennas since I don't like dealing with the magnet mounts and would prefer to do so in this installation. My question is will having a sunroof interfere with that installation. As an example, I know you can't have the factory ceiling video screen if you have a sunroof but I would think there should be enough clearance between the outer roof and the glass (when it's retracted) to do it. Of course, I'd like to be sure before the drill comes out.

So has anyone installed a CB antenna on a roof with an operating sunroof or know whether or not it can be done?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I won't answer your question, because i don't know the answer

That being said, the largest surface area is what is needed for the best reception
if you have a sun roof, that will of coarse cut down on total reception

now if you were to run a grounding strap from your cab to the bed sheet metal, as well as the hoods sheet metal, you should get the a better ground plane, to make up for any loss of reception & transmission.

I would suggest the you use a WILSON antenna, not the FireStick, fiberglas wrapped antennas really are not the best

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That being said, the largest surface area is what is needed for the best reception
if you have a sun roof, that will of coarse cut down on total reception
Absolutely, but short of putting it in the middle of the hood, even with the sunroof it's still the best place for it for a number of reasons.

now if you were to run a grounding strap from your cab to the bed sheet metal, as well as the hoods sheet metal, you should get the a better ground plane, to make up for any loss of reception & transmission
Thanks I knew about the grounding strap from the body to the bed but I didn't know about grounding the hood; I think I assumed it would be grounded already.

I would suggest the you use a WILSON antenna, not the FireStick, fiberglas wrapped antennas really are not the best
You bet, my intention is to go with the Wilson 1000; I don't need the capabilities of the 5000. I didn't buy the antenna yet (need to know if i can drill 1st) but last week I found a site that had the weather cap in stock so I ordered it already. They are getting harder to find but it's a great piece to have if there are extended periods you don't need, or want the whip on the truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts