DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Been reading a lot of good info on this site. I am in the market for a 2018 1500 and have settled on a Hemi or ecodeisel. I love the Hemi but since it’s will be my commuter vehicle I’m leaning towards gas mileage. Don’t do much towing other then my bassboat so.... my question is when (month/ time of year) do the dealers give the biggest discount? I’m in no rush but will need it before the snow falls here is Denver Co. thanks in advance. And btw, this Is the best forum out there!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Right now is probably the best time. The 18s here have at least $10,000 in rebates and discounts.
x2 Just picked one up in CT with about $11000 off sticker in May. Since the models changed, the dealers are more willing to sell of the 2018's as they receive the 2019's.
I got the 3.21 gears for the gas mileage on my Hemi and because I don't tow more than a couple of ATV's on a trailer. My commuter truck as well.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Right now is a good time as they are pushing the 18's out to make room for the 19's. If all you tow is a bass boat an ecodiesel would be fine. Test drive a few trucks switching back and forth between the Hemi and ecodiesel, you will figure out which one you want.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Assume you'll get the sticker average mileage on both vehicles and figure the annual cost of fuel for both engines at the mileage you average a year. Around here, diesel is generally more expensive than 87 octane regular.

Figure the cost difference per year and see if the difference will cover the cost of the ecodiesel.

My wife and I had this discussion when she was about to trade in her Prius on a Corolla. Fuel was under $80/yr and the Prius was $5000 more. Easy decision, she drives a Corolla now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assume you'll get the sticker average mileage on both vehicles and figure the annual cost of fuel for both engines at the mileage you average a year. Around here, diesel is generally more expensive than 87 octane regular.

Figure the cost difference per year and see if the difference will cover the cost of the ecodiesel.

My wife and I had this discussion when she was about to trade in her Prius on a Corolla. Fuel was under $80/yr and the Prius was $5000 more. Easy decision, she drives a Corolla now.

Good for her!! Not a Prius fan at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now is probably the best time. The 18s here have at least $10,000 in rebates and discounts.
x2 Just picked one up in CT with about $11000 off sticker in May. Since the models changed, the dealers are more willing to sell of the 2018's as they receive the 2019's.
I got the 3.21 gears for the gas mileage on my Hemi and because I don't tow more than a couple of ATV's on a trailer. My commuter truck as well.
Thanks guys. Yeah I’ve been seeing some jaw dropping discounts but thought they might get even more desperate by oct/nov timeframe.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks guys. Yeah I’ve been seeing some jaw dropping discounts but thought they might get even more desperate by oct/nov timeframe.
You may not see it get a lot better. A month or so ago I bought a 2017 leftover that had been sitting on the lot for over a year. The dealer was eager to get rid of it, so I negotiated quite a bit back and forth. I still only got him down 13K off sticker, I also got my trade value increased so I got a lot for my trade. Overall, it was a great deal, but it was just luck that the truck I really wanted was a leftover that I could negotiate a lot with. The 18s will start to disappear and then you may find yourself paying more overall to get a 19.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello all! Been reading a lot of good info on this site. I am in the market for a 2018 1500 and have settled on a Hemi or ecodeisel. I love the Hemi but since it’s will be my commuter vehicle I’m leaning towards gas mileage. Don’t do much towing other then my bassboat so.... my question is when (month/ time of year) do the dealers give the biggest discount? I’m in no rush but will need it before the snow falls here is Denver Co. thanks in advance. And btw, this Is the best forum out there!!
M

How much your boat weigh? 3.6l V6 man....I got a big horn 4x4 and I avg 24-25 on my 50 mile daily commute. 3.21 gears. If you live in Denver though, I am assuming you will upgrade the stock tires? I live in North Alabama so snow isn’t as big of a worry to me. 3.21 v6 mpgs suffers a lot with bigger tires, but I love mine. Also, v6 is cheaper and dealers will negotiate more. Just a thought!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
M

How much your boat weigh? 3.6l V6 man....I got a big horn 4x4 and I avg 24-25 on my 50 mile daily commute. 3.21 gears. If you live in Denver though, I am assuming you will upgrade the stock tires? I live in North Alabama so snow isn’t as big of a worry to me. 3.21 v6 mpgs suffers a lot with bigger tires, but I love mine. Also, v6 is cheaper and dealers will negotiate more. Just a thought!
Yeah I think for my application a V6 will do the job. And the price is so much lower than a Hemi. I’ve added it to my search and from what I’m gathering in this forum, dealers are giving huge discounts on the v6. Oh and btw, I read your post and that’s what made me consider a V6

·
Registered
36 Posts
M

Yeah I think for my application a V6 will do the job. And the price is so much lower than a Hemi. I’ve added it to my search and from what I’m gathering in this forum, dealers are giving huge discounts on the v6. Oh and btw, I read your post and that’s what made me consider a V6
Good deal. It is odd to me why the Hemis are so much more expensive. It is only a $1,250 option for Rams, yet they are priced thousands more. Be sure to test drive one though to see if you like the power. The Pentastar is an efficient engine that gains most of its’ torque once it gets past 2500 rpm or so. With the 8 speed it works pretty good, and it does have some ability to get up and go in the first two gears. What got me on the V6 was the efficiency and how easy it is to maintain the motor. 6 spark plugs, oil changes every 8,000-10,000, etc. It is a no frills motor that is great at a lot of things, but not exceptional in one particular area. If you can, be on the lookout for the one with 3.55 gears. Extremely hard to find at a dealer, but that is the best application of the V6 IMO. I got the 3.21, and it is still good, but you can tow another 2000-3000 pounds with the 3.55. Would be better if you do upgrade the tires or lift it, but mine works for me as I keep everything stock. Hope this helps and happy searching! I love my Pentastar Ram as I am sure you can tell. All about what you need for your applications.

Edit: Here is a review I did months ago.

https://www.ramforumz.com/#/topics/247167?page=1

·
Read Only
377 Posts
Good deal. It is odd to me why the Hemis are so much more expensive. It is only a $1,250 option for Rams, yet they are priced thousands more.

Because people are willing to pay for it. Demand means they can ask more. The only option is to negotiate tougher...

In my area, there are 16 Ram dealerships in a 120 mile long by 20 mile wide area. They all have a bottom line that they can't cross but the fact that I can leave and give another dealership the sale requires them to be extremely competitive.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you are concern with cost and MPG the last thing anyone should do is put lift and bigger tires. The V6 is a good motor, I was all set to go V6 but factory order on my Big Horn Crew Cab with the 6'4" bed had a automatic upgrade to the V8. I'm very happy with my truck, but if I could have made it work I probably would have done a V6 Quad to get the 6'4" bed, but I need room for my kids, my son is already close to my height (5' 11") at 14 so god knows what the next several years will bring since we have to keep feeding him:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only have a few around my areas so I hope they are willing to work with me on best price

Good deal. It is odd to me why the Hemis are so much more expensive. It is only a $1,250 option for Rams, yet they are priced thousands more.

Because people are willing to pay for it. Demand means they can ask more. The only option is to negotiate tougher...

In my area, there are 16 Ram dealerships in a 120 mile long by 20 mile wide area. They all have a bottom line that they can't cross but the fact that I can leave and give another dealership the sale requires them to be extremely competitive.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I get that part of it for sure, but in my opinion if I am going with a hemi, I am going to find one with the 3.91 gears. They are also hard to find on the lot. Most the hemis here have the 3.21 gears also which puts the towing capability around 8000 lbs. Might as well go with the V6 unless you are going to be towing around 8000 a few times a week. I am sure it is a lot more fun to drive, but I don’t view trucks in that aspect as I don’t try to blow up my truck at every red light you know? That, and I am cheap, so if I can save money somewhere with no capabilities compromised I am all for it! Especially the gas savings and maintenance savings versus the hemi.

I just feel the demand is based on getting that hemi badge versus the actual capability of the truck. But hey...we all think differently and like what we like! I am glad the general public is hemi or bust. Let me get my truck thousands cheaper. Like I mentioned previously though, I keep my truck stock. V6 Pentastars don’t work well with bigger tires and a lift, so I could see the need for a hemi based on that. That, and only hemis come with dual exhaust.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you are concern with cost and MPG the last thing anyone should do is put lift and bigger tires. The V6 is a good motor, I was all set to go V6 but factory order on my Big Horn Crew Cab with the 6'4" bed had a automatic upgrade to the V8. I'm very happy with my truck, but if I could have made it work I probably would have done a V6 Quad to get the 6'4" bed, but I need room for my kids, my son is already close to my height (5' 11") at 14 so god knows what the next several years will bring since we have to keep feeding him
Yeah that is the only downside. No v6 for crew. I got a quad with the 6’4 bed. Love the space. I moved into our new house with only my truck and a tow behind trailer. Going to the dump today and I got a crap ton of stuff loaded back there. Shout out to another Huntsville guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't over look used that are one to two years old. I saved 45% on a two year old with 12k miles. With bed cover and tint. I have bumper to bumper warranty till next may. Add in a 100k mole warranty or lifetime for a little under $2000. I'm looking at 43.5% Off with lifetime warranty. I have a bighorn crew v6. Mpg is awesome. I Ave 19.5 mix my wife's odyssey 2016 gets 17.6 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Just FWIW I'd much rather change 16 plugs on a Hemi than 6 on a Pentastar. I don't need to remove the intake manifold to change plugs on the Hemi. The oil filter on the Pentastar though makes oil changes super easy. Once I get the Fumoto valve on the Durango it'll probably be the easiest oil change I've ever done

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just FWIW I'd much rather change 16 plugs on a Hemi than 6 on a Pentastar. I don't need to remove the intake manifold to change plugs on the Hemi. The oil filter on the Pentastar though makes oil changes super easy. Once I get the Fumoto valve on the Durango it'll probably be the easiest oil change I've ever done

The other motivator for me and the v6 is not having to deal with the manifold studs and less parts when the time comes. Im hoping she's gonna be low maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The other motivator for me and the v6 is not having to deal with the manifold studs and less parts when the time comes. Im hoping she's gonna be low maintenance.

A fair point

1 - 20 of 29 Posts