DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,,
My beef with the rotary shifter has been lack of manual shifting functionality, however, according to Consumer Reports, our shifter is not as safe as traditional shifters and results in lower CR ratings for the RAM 1500 as well as other FCA vehicles. I know there's an issue with some of them getting stuck in Park, but this is a "fail in a safe state", and in my opinion more of a nuisance than a safety issue. This report states that if "done right", rotary shifters can be more safe, but apparently, according to CR, the RAM 1500 hasn't been "done right". IS FCA ok with a shifter design the degrades the safety rating of their automobiles?

When It Comes to Automatic Shifters, It's Proceed With Caution

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
First, with the rotatory shifter you do have manual shifting available, it is on the steering wheel right side buttons. There is a + - button on the top that will control what gear you are in. Second, that article only refereed to the Chrysler 300 as being a problem. I am not sure of what year they did it, but our trucks now incorporate the "auto park" safety system that if you open the drivers door, with the drivers seat belt not latched, the truck will automatically go into park. Besides that article is almost 3 years old.

·
Registered
160 Posts
our trucks now incorporate the "auto park" safety system that if you open the drivers door, with the drivers seat belt not latched, the truck will automatically go into park.
yes, annoyingly safe as someone said. It seems whenever I need/want to have door open to back up I've always had seat belt off. Soon as I get off work in few minutes gotta try it with seat belt ON.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wallybedarned! Learn something new every day.
thx Airforce

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Wallybedarned! Learn something new every day.
thx Airforce
A lot of people buy the seat belt extender and plug it in and leave it in at all times. It makes the truck think the belt is hooked up all the time so you can jump in and move the truck without having to actually hook up your belt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello everyone,,
My beef with the rotary shifter has been lack of manual shifting functionality, however, according to Consumer Reports, our shifter is not as safe as traditional shifters and results in lower CR ratings for the RAM 1500 as well as other FCA vehicles. I know there's an issue with some of them getting stuck in Park, but this is a "fail in a safe state", and in my opinion more of a nuisance than a safety issue. This report states that if "done right", rotary shifters can be more safe, but apparently, according to CR, the RAM 1500 hasn't been "done right". IS FCA ok with a shifter design the degrades the safety rating of their automobiles?
reverse image search email checker port checker
Thank you my issue has been solved,...

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Thanks for coming back & letting us know. (y)

·
Registered
100 Posts
On the older models (mine is a 2017) they had a recall so that when you open the door, it would slam into park. So far I have had all of my recalls done except that one. The dealership that I use, the service people know me and I always tell them not to do that one. So far, so good.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Unfortunately people don't take any personal responsibility anymore. Then add we have a sue happy society manufacturers have no choice but to go way overboard on features a lot of us find annoying. My 1972 Lincoln Mark iv if I forget to put it in park and step out of the car it will roll away. Back then if you did that it was on you not Lincoln. Welcome to the 21st century.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like the knob for shifting. It certainly cleans up the instrument dash area. Back in the day, there were push button shifting options on some cars. Very clean.
My only issue so far has been on me. I was talking on the phone (not bluetoothed) and went to turn the radio volume down. Yep...I grabbed the shift knob! I stopped the instant before I turned because something told me it was a little too large.
For that reason alone, I think it should have been placed farther away and made in the form of a bladed twist knob like on a stovetop. Would make it completely different than headlights or radio tuner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are Youtube videos showing what would happen if you accidentally shift into park or reverse. Actually nothing, it would stay in drive until you stop. The indicator which gear you're trying to go in would flash and you would get a warning on your display. Here is a link:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,,

Don’t you have a paddle to go into manual mode?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don’t you have a paddle to go into manual mode?
Look at the steering wheel you'll see buttons on the right side that have a - and + sign. That lets you shift the transmission manually. Your display will show what gear you're in from 1 to 8 th gear. Also when you run in manual mode you won't be able to use cruise control. That 8 speed ZF designed Chrysler transmission is one of the best ones on the market and used by many manufacturers. The transmission computer and vehicle computer do an excellent job of choosing which gear is the best and when towing you just leave it in "D" auto and it will do a fine job of selecting the proper gear.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Look at the steering wheel you'll see buttons on the right side that have a - and + sign. That lets you shift the transmission manually. Your display will show what gear you're in from 1 to 8 th gear. Also when you run in manual mode you won't be able to use cruise control. That 8 speed ZF designed Chrysler transmission is one of the best ones on the market and used by many manufacturers. The transmission computer and vehicle computer do an excellent job of choosing which gear is the best and when towing you just leave it in "D" auto and it will do a fine job of selecting the proper gear.
Your statement about not being able to use cruise control while in manual mode is inaccurate. I always run in manual mode, and use my cruise control regularly. Both in my current 2020 Laramie, and in my old 2017 Rebel. Cruise control works whether in manual mode or auto mode. If yours doesn't, then there is something wrong with your truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts