DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a heads up to you Ram owners who may have not done your first tire rotation yet. I was coming up on 6K miles and decided I would rotate my tires. I was unable to free the rear wheels from the axle. It's rusted on pretty solid. Not sure if it's just an issue with the 20" wheels or if you guys with 17" wheels may have the same issue. I was able to get the front wheels free from the axle, but since I couldn't budge the rear tires, I just put my tires back at their original locations.

I pulled/tugged/kicked and pried but they would not budge. I've read you can hand tighten the lug nuts and drive the vehicle a few feet and that may free it up. Was a little leary of trying that and busting a wheel stud.

I sprayed on some penetrating oil yesterday and am letting it soak it to see if that helps. Rather that tear into it again myself, I'm taking the truck into a local tire shop tomorrow and have them rotate the tires. So much for saving a few bucks and doing it myself. :(

I'm just glad I didn't have a flat somewhere in the sticks and found myself unable to free the wheels from the axle.

Darin

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Didn't have an issue with mine, however I do have the 20's. Back in my mechanic days we would have this issue. Usually would have to get the big truck tire hammer out and whack the crap out of the bottom of the tire to break it free. Could be a real pain sometimes but nothing the "big" hammer couldn't fix.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Last month when i plasti my wheels i did feel some resistance pulling my 17's. I did need to use a 5lb dead blow on one rear wheel. It seemed to me that the holes through drilled in the wheels to accept the studs are cut way to small almost exact. They come off but.... Had the samr thought as you gunna be ugly late snowy nite with a flat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts