DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 1500. Recently I ordered a rough country 5” lift online since it was on sale. I’m decently handy and got it installed in around ten hours despite how horrible the instructions are. Some of the pictures aren’t even on a torsion bar suspension and Half the instructions are incomplete. My problem is now I have a grinding while driving. It’s not constant but it is often. Especially while making a right turn. Any advice is appreciated. A few before and after shots. 5” lift and 35s.
I’m wondering if it has anything to do with the drive shafts? Maybe too short? Cv shafts too short? cv shaft going bad? It did have differential drop brackets. Do ball joints make any grinding when going bad?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm interested in this because I just recently got an '05 Ram 1500 & I'm trying to decide between which lift to get....Rough Country or Zone. As for your noise, I'm leaning toward one of your CV joints is binding. That's probably why it makes more of a noise when you turn to the right. You have to tear apart the front suspension to remove them tho, as you know.
You said the instructions were no good, is it possible that you installed the front differential brackets incorrectly, putting the diff at the incorrect angle?
To eliminate the driveshafts, you can remove them one at a time and drive the truck & see if the noise goes away or stops.
Have you tried calling the store for support or Rough Country directly?
I haven't heard anyone else having this issue before with this kit.
When CV joints go bad on a car, they make a clicking noise, more pronounced when you turn. This is what leads me to believe that the diff is installed at the incorrect angle and maybe the brackets are installed backwards.
Definitely interested in the outcome tho….

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm interested in this because I just recently got an '05 Ram 1500 & I'm trying to decide between which lift to get....Rough Country or Zone. As for your noise, I'm leaning toward one of your CV joints is binding. That's probably why it makes more of a noise when you turn to the right. You have to tear apart the front suspension to remove them tho, as you know.
You said the instructions were no good, is it possible that you installed the front differential brackets incorrectly, putting the diff at the incorrect angle?
To eliminate the driveshafts, you can remove them one at a time and drive the truck & see if the noise goes away or stops.
Have you tried calling the store for support or Rough Country directly?
I haven't heard anyone else having this issue before with this kit.
When CV joints go bad on a car, they make a clicking noise, more pronounced when you turn. This is what leads me to believe that the diff is installed at the incorrect angle and maybe the brackets are installed backwards.
Definitely interested in the outcome tho….
Nice looking trucking, BTW!
Can you measure from the center of your wheel to bottom of fender for me please? I also have a 2007 2wd lifted 7" front/4" rear with 35" tires & I wanted to compare final ride height with yours.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after doing a little research I found the consensus to be that zone is better. No real good reasons why. People just say rough country sucks. If you look at the parts list it’s almost the same. Zone has a smaller skid plate for the front diff. But it does come with a spacer for the front driveshaft. I’m thinking it’s a cv too. I just don’t know how to check if it’s bad. I’d hate to pay a shop $170 to diagnose that. It seems like a high price.
The instructions suck cause for me there were a couple things that didn’t apply. Like it says install the rear a arm drop bracket with the stinger facing backward but the stinger brackets aren’t even attached. Then where it says to use new bolts I couldn’t cause the nuts were welded into my frame. In one picture it had a coil for the front suspension so I know that’s off the 06-08 1500. Picture doesn’t apply to us. The brackets really only go on one way so it can’t be backwards but I did double check just in case. The diff is pointed toward the cab and the drive shaft looks like it’s barely sticking out more.
I have fender flares so it maybe a little different but before was 23 1/2” and after is 27”. Red truck looks great.

·
8,070 Posts
A grinding sound when turning is typically associated with a hub/wheel bearing going bad. CV's typically making clicking sounds when they're going out however I wouldn't rule them out completely. I would guess that these issues were already present before the lift but that the lift is now accentuating them because of some increased angles. I'd start by checking out the hub bearings and CV's before blaming the lift completely. Because you are only having the issue when turning I would highly doubt it's anything to do with driveshafts.

I would definitely recommend Zone over Rough Country. They used to be very similar but around 6-7 years ago Rough Country really took a downturn in both quality and service for their lift kits. There have been many cases of incorrect parts shipped, incomplete lift kits, poor geometry, poor warranty service, etc. It sounds like now the instructions are also taking a hit.

@53burb, let me know if we can help you out with a Zone lift kit for your truck. Feel free to shoot me a message at [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts