DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the last couple of weeks I've been having a weird problem with my truck. I have no check engine lights or codes. It idles rough, about every 3 seconds I can feel a vibration. When I accelerate it hesitates and struggles to get up to speed. Sometimes I can hear an unusual sound under the truck. The muffler tone changes. It's almost like a surge. The RPM fluctuates by about 100 up and down. On deceleration and braking it also surges up and down. When braking sometimes it feels like I'm hitting small bumps in the road. It could be another issue altogether.

I'm probably going to take it in next week but maybe someone can save me some money and point me in the right direction

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sheesh, that could be anything but the fact that it is not throwing a check engine light probably eliminates a vacuum leak.

Could be bad fuel or a problem with the fuel system, an electrical issue or maybe even a transmission issue.

Weren't you the guy that had a wet air filter? Did you ever figure that issue out? It could definitely be related.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that was me. I took it out to look at the new one and it's bone dry. It actually started after I changed the pcv valve and air filter. I think it was always there, but it's worse now. I checked every vacuum line that I could see. That was my first thought. The airbox is sealed properly, I double checked that. I had the air tube running to the throttle body off for a little while when I was trying to get the airbox lid on properly. Other than that nothing has changed. I'm probably getting way more air through the new clean filter now, that was my first theory. I reset the computer and drove it for a couple weeks to get the sensors used to it. It's getting worse day by day. It feels like someone is knocking on the bottom of my floor boards when my feet are resting there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not good, Sorry man.

The only other DIY suggestion I could make would be to poke around the lower part of your engine with a mechanics stethoscope and try to narrow down where the noise is coming from. If you are actually feeling things from the floor boards.... bad engine mounts, maybe?

Other than that, you will probably have to take it into a dealer or trusted independent shop that has a reputation for accurate diagnosing. Finding a shop that can accurately diagnose problems like these instead of just guessing and throwing parts at it might be a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm bringing it in this week sometime. A few other things I've noticed lately. Revving it in park sounds very weak. And I have an aftermarket exhaust that is normally deafening. When I come to a complete stop there is a clunk in the front end somewhere and the truck jerks slightly.

I'm in foreign territory here. I'm just hoping it's nothing serious but I'll post either way

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It turned out to be a computer issue. Wrong shift points or something like that. It was upshifting and downshifting at the wrong time and that was causing the surging.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It turned out to be a computer issue. Wrong shift points or something like that. It was upshifting and downshifting at the wrong time and that was causing the surging.
Glad to hear it! How much did it cost to get it fixed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
37 for diagnostics, 100 for reprogramming at the dealer. I don't really understand why it needed reprogramming in the first place, but whatever. It's running better now. I still think there's more to it, but I'll deal with that at a later date.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts