DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!

Still doing what feels like chasing my tail here.

Silver (2002 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7L V8, 2WD ST, almost 176K miles) has been idling rough, revving himself and dying more often. Before, it was only when it was cold outside (below freezing, which was always because, hello winter). Now it's happening in warm weather as well, and it's getting worse.

Things that have been done:
-New TPS after it threw a code for that
-New IAC after it threw a code for that
-Throttle body cleaned (twice, each time I got in there for sensors)
-A fair bit of cursing
-bad gas was also a high suspect as a rash of it ran through my area, so we drained and filled with Ultra and Seafoam, which seemed to help for awhile.
-A friend and I looked for vacuum leaks and wiring issues, though we did not find anything.
-PCV valve checked, cleaned and reinstalled.

It has been throwing some seemingly random codes that never repeat as well as a few 'Random misfire' codes. The one that keeps coming back is this

Fuel/Air mixture... or something like that is what the mechanic's code reader says about it, but I'm also seeing results from the forum that say "P1296 No 5Vs to MAP Sens"... so.

I'd think that's the MAP sensor. I don't think they're too expensive, but this buy, plug, and try is getting to be a real PITA.

Any other ideas?

I and my mechanic have been pounding our heads into the wall over this for almost 6 months now, so any suggestions are welcome! Can't get (and keep) a steady job with a vehicle that doesn't run (or stay running) all the time so this is starting to really hurt. No other options at this time but to try and fix it.

Thanks guys, and here's to many more Ram miles!

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
This code indicates a problem with the 5v circuit that powers the MAP sensor. I would start by verifying the integrity of the wiring between the sensor and PCM. Make sure there are no open circuits, short circuits, nothing is shorted together, resistance is below 5 ohms, and that the wires can pass a load test. If that all checks out, I would replace the MAP sensor and see what happens. If that doesn't cure it, then it's time for a new PCM. I've also attached the factory diagnostic procedure to help you solve this problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This code indicates a problem with the 5v circuit that powers the MAP sensor. I would start by verifying the integrity of the wiring between the sensor and PCM. Make sure there are no open circuits, short circuits, nothing is shorted together, resistance is below 5 ohms, and that the wires can pass a load test. If that all checks out, I would replace the MAP sensor and see what happens. If that doesn't cure it, then it's time for a new PCM. I've also attached the factory diagnostic procedure to help you solve this problem.
Thank you very much for the response, RamTech! :smileup:
I'm going to go with the hope that it's just the sensor, but I will have everything else checked out first.
I'm sure my friend and I can check most of it, but if not I'll haul 'er to the mechanic.

Thanks again, have a great day!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to the help of the Forum, some critical thinking and a New Mechanic, Silver is up and running again.

Initially I had brought the truck in to have the MAP replaced after confirming that it was indeed the issue.

Old mechanic simply plugged a new one in and rolled it out of the shop, I doubt he even turned it on. (because when I tried, it didn't really... run much. So much worse than before!)

Problem? The new part was FAULTY.
(additionally my truck was left, key in ignition, windows down, after the shop closed with tools crammed under the hood, but it was 'ready for pick up'...)

So, a new mechanic played 'chase the wires/Chase the problem' and kept coming back to the MAP sensor.
He finally replaced it and BAM. Issues solved.

Silver's running like a champ, if not better than he was before this whole mess.

Just goes to show ya you gotta check your work before you ASSUME that it's done.

Thanks guys!

Go Dodge!
Go Ram!

:smileup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts