DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lately noticed my truck having a tough time shifting into second while going up hill (happen to live on a pretty steep hill). Anyways, the way this normally happens is I turn onto the hill at around 10mph and then it feels real sluggish as I start up the hill and eventually the engines revs up and slams into 2nd (very noticeable). I don't floor it up the hill, in fact I really try to take it easy on the gas yet it seems to happen about 60-70% of the time.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Anyone with similar problems?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops, just realized I was in the 3rd gen section, any chance a mod could please move this to the 4th gen section.

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,100 Posts
Done. :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I presume it used to shift OK, but lately has gotten "noticeable"?

You might try drive-learning it. Make a series of 1-2 upshifts at light-to-medium throttle, when the trans is warm. Do maybe 15-20 upshifts, stopping after each one and then gently accelerating up through the 1-2 upshift. That should help to adjust your 2C clutch volume index (CVI). If that doesn't work, ask your dealer to "quick-learn" the trans. They do this using a scan tool, and it resets all the trans adaptives and re-learns all the CVIs. It only takes a few seconds once they get the scan tool hooked up.

I presume you have no CEL, no faults, etc.?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I presume it used to shift OK, but lately has gotten "noticeable"?

You might try drive-learning it. Make a series of 1-2 upshifts at light-to-medium throttle, when the trans is warm. Do maybe 15-20 upshifts, stopping after each one and then gently accelerating up through the 1-2 upshift. That should help to adjust your 2C clutch volume index (CVI). If that doesn't work, ask your dealer to "quick-learn" the trans. They do this using a scan tool, and it resets all the trans adaptives and re-learns all the CVIs. It only takes a few seconds once they get the scan tool hooked up.

I presume you have no CEL, no faults, etc.?
Correct, only in the last couple of months has it been noticeable. Yep, no check engine or anything. When drive-learning it should I be on the hill or will anywhere work? I'll go ahead and give that a try, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Correct, only in the last couple of months has it been noticeable. Yep, no check engine or anything. When drive-learning it should I be on the hill or will anywhere work? I'll go ahead and give that a try, thanks for the help!
I would learn it on level ground. The PCM will only learn within a certain throttle range (light to medium throttle), so if you're on a grade you might be tipping into it too deeply for it to learn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts