DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having this problem with my 2011 for quite some time now. I live in hilly Hudson Valley, NY, so it appears that the hills exacerbate the problem even more. When I'm cruising between 40 to 50 mph, my rpms fluctuate, almost like the tranny wants to upshift, but it's not sure. Then the rpms go up ever so slightly and the truck finally up shifts to the correct gear. It's driving me crazy; I'm to the point of trading it in because I have little to zero faith in any dealership to isolate the issue.

Has anyone out there had this same issue? I'm really hoping that it's an easy fix. Thanks everyone.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Sounds to me like the converter is unlocking and locking which is normal operation when cruising in that speed range.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There seems to be a lot of chatter on this recently. Mine has done this also but the last few months it is quite worse. The MDS seems to stay on longer, the RPM's fluctuate, then I give it more throttle and it finally down shifts. Could it be "winter" fuel mixture?

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
I haven't seen any documentation as of yet, but perhaps there's a flash update that addresses the issue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also thought maybe winter fuel because my gas mileage started to significantly decrease during these past cold months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've noticed this rpm fluction since I bought it 2 years ago. Slight uphill, about 70-80kms/hr, which is in the same speed range.

I really like the Ram, but our trusty 06 4Runner doesn't have any kind of issues like ticks in the engine, rpm fluctuations etc. ;-).
The 4Runner (V8) is also a lot quicker off the line, it doesn't cut back the torque etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine isn't just an RPM fluctuation, it sounds and feels as if I'm purposely stomping the gas then letting off. You can feel the truck buck; my wife actually thought I was doing it on purpose to piss her off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine isn't just an RPM fluctuation, it sounds and feels as if I'm purposely stomping the gas then letting off. You can feel the truck buck; my wife actually thought I was doing it on purpose to piss her off.
Sounds like a faulty throttle/pedal position sensor.
On mine the rpm fluctuates about 300-400 rpm up & down, just enough to notice it while you're driving. I find that already annoying ;-)
I think it has to do with locking & unlocking of the torque converter. It's doing it under a constant load/speed though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Very good definition of this. Thanks.

I was behind a log truck Saturday running about 55mph and dealing with a few hills the log truck would drop to about 50mph. My truck would start the RPM surge so bad I either had to let off the gas completely or mash it hard to drop a gear. It almost felt like driving a backhoe when the throttle and bumps start bucking the whole machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem on my 11 without a code, I changed the VVT solenoid this weekend and the fluctuation in RPM stopped, gas mileage went up, and now the truck responds and accelerates like it should.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem on my 11 without a code, I changed the VVT solenoid this weekend and the fluctuation in RPM stopped, gas mileage went up, and now the truck responds and accelerates like it should.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts