DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so had the 06 Hemi in for a check up and an oil change.
The codes it had previously thrown (P3400&P1521) were deemed a glitch.
We're in the process of locating the coolant leak, though it hasn't lost any since it was added.. :4-dontknow:

But here's why I'm posting this.

For the past few months the Hemi's RPM's have beenunnaturally low, compared to it's previous averages.
These are ones that I have recorded from my last voyage to college.

[email protected]
900 rpm 40mph
1000rpm 45mph
1100rpm 50mph
1200rpm 55mph
1050rpm 58mph

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference in driving it, besides needing --maybe-- is more gas to get moving when first putting it into drive. (I could be imagining this, as no one else claims to have this issue when operating it... including the mechanic.) Just my opinion, I guess.

This occurred a little while after putting some Seafoam in the gas and in the tranny. (coincidence maybe, as it's had Seafoam before...)

What I'm wondering is, what kind of RPMs are you guys getting on your 5.7's and what your thoughts are on the RPMs suddenly deciding to lower down.
Could it merely be the gauge? (Though it doesn't always stay low, it downshifts and drops down, minus when idling or being in park. No loss of power or anything...)

Thanks for any input you guys can provide!

DO DODGE!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Something is wrong, those rpms are not right. Hard to compare to my Ram, I run a 3,000 rpm stall converter and a hot cam for drag racing, but my idle is 700 rpm, I think yours should be around 650 or so. At 60 mph= 1,600 rpms 50 mph = 1,400 rpms 40 mph = 1,200 rpms and 30 mph is about 1,000 rpms. I suspect a sensor is giving a false reading. Look around the thermostat housing for a coolant leak. Mine was the rubber gasket that comes on the thermostat. Perhaps the dealer needs to reflash the computer for the rpms, clueless, but can't be too serious.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a glitch.

Those codes will pop up if you need an oil change.
Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought, but I was just saying what my mechanic said. The CEL had cleared itself before we even got it to the mechanic's, thus him deeming it a glitch, I guess.

Something is wrong, those rpms are not right. Hard to compare to my Ram, I run a 3,000 rpm stall converter and a hot cam for drag racing, but my idle is 700 rpm, I think yours should be around 650 or so. At 60 mph= 1,600 rpms 50 mph = 1,400 rpms 40 mph = 1,200 rpms and 30 mph is about 1,000 rpms. I suspect a sensor is giving a false reading. Look around the thermostat housing for a coolant leak. Mine was the rubber gasket that comes on the thermostat. Perhaps the dealer needs to reflash the computer for the rpms, clueless, but can't be too serious.
Hey Hydrex, thanks for the reply! It used to Idle around in there, as well as those approximate values while running. Thanks for the heads up on where to check for a coolant leak as well! We'll be looking in to having it reflashed, or whatever else it may be ASAP, but it's a daily driver for a nurse, so it may be a week or so.

Anyway! Sorry it took me so long to respond, but thank you two for the replies!

Have a good day, and Go Dodge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts