DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a ProMaxx rubber tailgate mat for my '12 Ram and it appears I'll have to screw it on. Anyone done this yet on theirs. I did it on my F-150 without much of a problem, just don't want any surprises.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yes, I did mine over a month ago from another brand, but these things are pretty generic. I didn't use all the exact hole locations that mine had, because I wanted to use a couple of the factory screws already in the gate. I just improvised, and the pad has done well, staying in place with no issue. If you're concerned with appearances at a later time if you were to remove the pad, you could use an appropriately sized countersunk screw in those holes just for appearances sake. I can guarantee that if you really use your truck to some degree, the tailgate will look a lot better by having had that pad in place. I picked up a few concrete blocks yesterday at Lowes and was glad to have it there. Plus, it's hard on the knees when using the gate without the pad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback TNC. I put one on my '06 F-150 with no problem(screwed on) but the tailgate on the Ford was flat as an ironing board. The Ram will be a bit of a challenge as the top of the tailgate panel has a detent(depression) just below the plastic gaurd. Should be manageable. Mat came with black screws andwashers. like you I'll drill where i have to but if I can use the factory fasteners I will. Thanks again.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Let us know how you make out.....Please keep us updated.......

·
Registered
244 Posts
heres mine just put the screws in the flatest spots u can find first to position it exactly where u want it then go to the tougher screws...the top is the hardest part

G

·
Do the edges of the rubber matting stay pretty flat with the screws, or would some sort of chrome or stainless steel 1 inch strap work better over the top of the mat for the screws to go into....something to hold the edge down evenly??

If you have to drill into the metal tailgate, did you spray some rust inhibitor maybe inject a silicone gel in the holes prior to putting in the screws to keep the bare metal from rusting under the mat?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do the edges of the rubber matting stay pretty flat with the screws, or would some sort of chrome or stainless steel 1 inch strap work better over the top of the mat for the screws to go into....something to hold the edge down evenly??

If you have to drill into the metal tailgate, did you spray some rust inhibitor maybe inject a silicone gel in the holes prior to putting in the screws to keep the bare metal from rusting under the mat?
yea i used a rust inhibitor...the edges all stay flat other than the top of the mat cause the screws go in at a weird angle due to the dimple on top of the tail gate...i wish you could wrap the plastic tailgate top over the mat...that'd be ideal...if u fab something together let me know how it looks :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
have you considered, just scuffing it up and just use an over the counter roll on liner for just the gate? no drilling or rusting.

·
Registered
307 Posts
dkerr, is your bed open or covered? tks. wondering how the velcro will hold up to weather conditions year round.
About half the time I have my TonnoPro cover over the bed. If I'm hauling anything, it's in the open. The sticky on those velcro pads is ridiculously strong.

Darin

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I drilled holes in my '06 F-150 tailgate when I put it on with no issues after 6 years, also shot a little silicone caulk on the hole before screwing it down. The velcro isn't a bad idea except the mat is heavy and I think screwing it down will bring the mat closer to the tailgate for a neater appearance. Also the Pro maxx mat comes with black screws and washers. Should be good to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Has anyone come out with something that covers the space between the tailgate and end of bed when open. Man is that a pain in the butt to clean out when Moma makes me pick up mulch or top soil .... usually wind up pulling the tailgate off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update. I put the tailgate mat on yesterday without too much fan fare. Mat comes with black 3/4 inch phillips head screws and black flat washers. Only road block was at the top of the tailgate where there is a ridge and detent in the metal panel. I ended up drilling the holes at a slight angle but hit a second metal panel about 1/4 in. below the hole. Not wanting to drill into the locking or operarting mechanism, I removed the access panel on the tailgate and found only a second flat panel. No problem. Just had to continue drilling thru the second panel. Bottom of the pad is no problem as you are drilling thru a flat panel. Used a dab of clear silicone in each hole under the mat and screwed it down. Lays flat , looks good and more important, won't scratch or scuff the tailgate. $69.00 Case closed. :smileup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts