DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m thinking of getting a set of RBP wheels and 33x12.5 tires and a trusted source at the tire shop told me not to run the wheels in the winter because the snow and dirt getting on them from winter driving would ruin the finish on them. Since RBP wheels are only made for trucks shouldn`t they be tough enough to run all year round? Winter hasn`t done any damage to my stock wheels so why would it damage aftermarket ones?

·
Registered
726 Posts
If they are aluminum alloy wheels then I would agree, don't have them on in the winter if you live in areas with snow and where they treat the roads with chemicals. I had Mickey Thompson Aluminum Alloy wheels on my Jeep JK for only two month of a winter here in Iowa and they got spots and pits that wouldn't buff out. I ended up powder coating them black. Chrome wheels should be ok as long as you run your truck through a car wash every so often.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have been shopping for new wheels as well and have been told the same thing about certain wheels. Apparently some of them are not designed to withstand the salt or chemicals on the winter roads.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have 20" rbp 94r wheels on my truck, this is the first winter they have seen, not pitting yet, although i wash them religiously once or twice a week

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
If they're like any of the other RBP stuff I've gone through then they look great, but don't hold up in the winter time. Between one of their uber-expensive grilles, tips, and fuel door, none have had a finish on them that has lasted more than one winter and I was very angry considering the cost of said pieces, especially the grille. I need to send my grille out for powdercoating since it's all rusted after only 2 years.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
remember that your stock wheels stand up to road shite and winter conditions because they are chrome plastic... which to me is a good thing because it withstands the elements alot better... for the amount of monmey that those wheels are, I wouldnt run them in the winter

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
If they're like any of the other RBP stuff I've gone through then they look great, but don't hold up in the winter time. Between one of their uber-expensive grilles, tips, and fuel door, none have had a finish on them that has lasted more than one winter and I was very angry considering the cost of said pieces, especially the grille. I need to send my grille out for powdercoating since it's all rusted after only 2 years.
roads and hwys in ablerta arent even salted in the winter are they? any trucks I see forsale that are from there say "alberta truck, no salt" so if thats true imagine what it would look like after the salt ate away at it for 2 years. or I could be wrong hahah

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep, I agree, avoid expensive alloy rims in the winter. I would love a set of chrome aftermarket wheels but I am sure the salt would destroy them. I am going to get a set of chrome clad's soon so I can have the bling without the worry of salt damage.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Good quality wheels should be fine in winter driving, cheap low grade wheels will probably pit and look like crap. With that said, I have never had an issue running aftermarket wheels in the winter.
Ive seen a lot of off-brand cheap wheels that rust and pit from normal "summer" use which includes minor offroading.
It all comes down to quality, you get what you pay for.

Oh research the manufacture before buying. The market is flooded with cheap crap wheels ( Discountedwheelwarehouse for example)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don`t know if finish makes a difference but I was going to get black ones that have a bit of polished aluminum trim. I`m pretty sure the black is powder coated. Anyone know of some brands that would be better than others. I can`t help but wonder that if the wheels aren`t good enough to withstand winter snow and sand then how are they going to stand up to mud/dirt from offroading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts