DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
You can, but you will lose a lot of low end torque. Trucks like some backpressure, I would find a small muffler if you really want to be loud.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont want it to be overly greasy loud i just want it to sound nice and deep which muffler is the best? and what length do i need

·
Registered
300 Posts
I dont want it to be overly greasy loud i just want it to sound nice and deep which muffler is the best? and what length do i need
I'd recommend going to youtube and listen to a few or visit websites like magnaflow and listen before you buy. The longer the muffler the quieter it will be.

·
Registered
181 Posts
when i was installing my mufflex i started my truck without a muffler....sounds terrible
Agreed. Most cars/trucks sound horrible with straight pipes. The muffler gives it some tone...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Im running my 2004 hemi with no muffler. I still have the stock piping and cats, and it sounds awesome. Gave me more power too. All of my friends think it sounds good, everyone i pass tells me it sounds awesome, and its turned a couple girls on ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I replaced the stock muffler on my last truck (2006 Chevy 5.3) with a Summit muffler. The muffler was 21.95 and the muffler shop charged me 60.00 labor. I got them to remove the tailpipe and just have a turndown coming off the muffler. It sounded really good.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Removing the muffler will not cause a performance loss. IMO it will not sound bad either, but will be loud. Also IMO though, I would prefer the sound of a straight through type muffler (like a magnaflow) over a straight pipe, and this would give no performance loss. It would also tame the sound at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Never a easy decision huh? Everyone has their own taste so i would just go and listen to some videos or chase down a Ram that sounds good in your area and ask them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i went with the true duals (flowmaster 40 series) and put on my CAI today it sounds amazing I like it alot thnks for all the help.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Never a easy decision huh? Everyone has their own taste so i would just go and listen to some videos or chase down a Ram that sounds good in your area and ask them.
I couldn't have said it better myself. There is a Gibson on my truck now that the previous owner installed and I have a Flowmaster 10 series waiting to be installed on my truck. To each their own.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When mine was stock I put a cutout infront of the muffler and it sounded horrible. I capped it off and went with a 1-chamber Flowmaster 10 series. Much better, then gutted the cats and it was a lot better. Now I have TD's after the cats with no Y into 2.5" pipe and two 1-chamber Flows dumped over the axle with 3" tailpipes. It's raspy above 3000rpm, so I might add an X or H pipe in there to see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No Mufflers

I did that awhile too cats only and straight side pipes. Looked great. Sound drove me nuts. I went with a Cherry Bomb Vortex Stainless catback system. Sounds outstanding and it really gave me back awesome low end torque.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Throw a Cherry bomb on there, either the round straight thru or the muffler type which is also straight thru. Had 2 on my 72 chevy not overly loud until WOT them everyones head turned. You will complain about the drone if you have MDS, or just run in trailer tow mode always and you wont have to worry about MDS but gas mileage will suffer but from the sounds of it you are on the peddle all the time so you don't care about mileage...me neither my wife is in charge of keeping the truck full, I pay the mortgage LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts