DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after sitting since Sunday, I fired up the '16 Rebel (loaded with bikes), heading out for a workout. Check engine light, engine running rough. I look around for chewed wires. Nothing obvious, so I limped it on over to the Advance Auto Parts store to get the codes checked. Coasted down hills ok, but sputtered and shimmied like an old Model-T when going up hills. I was afraid to give it more gas (not knowing what the problem was).

Threw code P0302 and P0202. #2 Cylinder misfire and #2 Cylinder Injector circuit open. So I'm thinking that I'm only running on 7 cylinders, it shouldn't be too bad, but any time I put some throttle to it, the check engine light would flash (instead of on solid) and the engine vibrated something fierce. Light throttle, no problem. So I limped home, pulled the engine cover and found #2 injector wire chewed throught, made an insurance claim (Geico covers this 100% with no deductible). Same thing happened to my Challenger last spring - $1200 worth of chewed wires and sensors.

Here's my question. Why does this HEMI run so rough on 7 Cylinders? I had a 2007 Chevy 5.3 with a chewed coil wire, running on 7, and you noticed, but no shimmying or vibration. Am I risking any damage driving it 15 miles to the dealer for repair, or should I have it towed?

·
Registered
998 Posts
If it were me, I’d trailer it, or ask your insurance company if they’ll pay to tow it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were me, I’d trailer it, or ask your insurance company if they’ll pay to tow it.
Towing is included in my coverage. So I'm probably going that route. I was really interested on why it ran so rough, with just one injector not working. I've run other vehicles with a bad coil, or back in the day, bad plug wire, and even a GM 4.3 V-6 running on 5 didn't shimmy like this HEMI does running on 7. Wondering if all the smarts in the ECU can't deal with the lack of feedback from one cylinder (no fire, no combustion, no exhaust, etc..) when it's being told to fire.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I had a 2001 F150 launch a spark plug, and it shook like a dog passing a peach seed.

On that truck, I just unhooked the injector and drove it home to fix it. It was also about 15 miles, and it didn't seem to hurt anything, but it can't be good for it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just pulled my Rebel up the driveway to meet the flat-bed. It was shaking like a twerker in a rap video. Fortunately, my dealer is also the GEICO direct repair center. If there's anything else wrong....it's still under warranty. Sucks being without my truck over the holiday weekend. I guess I'll have to pile all my guns in the trunk and take the Challenger to the range. No bike rides, though. I got nothing that will haul my giant-assed mountain bike.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear K-dawg. Sounds like #2 injector will get you back on the road though-best of luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's my question. Why does this HEMI run so rough on 7 Cylinders?
Was it when the MDS kicked in? I believe those cylinders are 1,4,6,7. So it becomes a 4 cyl. One of the remaining would be number 2. If its not working then you have a 3 cylinder.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Truck is happy and healthy. I had it home with new #2 injector wiring and connector in under 24 hours (including a GEICO claim, tow to the dealer, and dealer repair).

Literally, I started the truck at 5:30 PM on Thursday. Limped 10 miles to Advance Auto Parts to have the codes read. Limped back home. Pulled the engine cover and found the mouse-chewed wire. called in a GEICO claim around 7:00 PM. 8:00AM Friday, called the dealer who told me not to drive it 15 miles to them with #2 injector not working. Called GEICO, they arranged for a tow. Flatbed arrived at 10:30AM. GEICO inspector called me at 1:00. Inspected the damage and wrote a $284 check to the dealer. Dealer called me at 4:15PM. I picked up the truck at 4:45PM and pulled into my driveway at 5:23PM Friday....7-minutes short of 24 hours from the initial problem detection.

Who says you can't get great service. Shout out to GEICO, and Diehl Automotove in Butler, PA.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
So it wasn't a problem with the truck then, it was a rodent issue.

Good to hear you're back and firing on all 8 cylinders

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it wasn't a problem with the truck then, it was a rodent issue.

Good to hear you're back and firing on all 8 cylinders
Yes. Earlier this year, rodents chewed up $1200 worth of wiring and sensors on my '13 Challenger. After the 100% (zero-deductible) repair, I put a battery powered ultra-sonic device under the hood of the car, and then added rodent repellent bags under the hood of the Rebel and Challenger, as well as sprayed all wiring with "Rodent Sheriff" (peppermint oil). I originally put mouse traps and poison stations out, but had to pull the traps in because the birds were going for the peanut butter, and I was killing too many birds.

Apparently, the ultrasonic device kept the rodents from the car, and drove them to the truck. I let the peppermint oil treatments lapse, and voila....little bastard chewed the #2 injector wire on the Rebel. I have another ultrasonic device on order, for the truck, and gave both vehicles a fresh spray of peppermint oil.

I can't keep outdoor cats, because even though I'm rural, the road is close, and they'd get smashed. I'd like to stock the woods with pythons, but Mrs. K-Dawg said something about packing up and moving if I did that (not sure if that was me or her that would be moving), but anyway, no snakes. The rodent battle continues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes. Earlier this year, rodents chewed up $1200 worth of wiring and sensors on my '13 Challenger. After the 100% (zero-deductible) repair, I put a battery powered ultra-sonic device under the hood of the car, and then added rodent repellent bags under the hood of the Rebel and Challenger, as well as sprayed all wiring with "Rodent Sheriff" (peppermint oil). I originally put mouse traps and poison stations out, but had to pull the traps in because the birds were going for the peanut butter, and I was killing too many birds.

Apparently, the ultrasonic device kept the rodents from the car, and drove them to the truck. I let the peppermint oil treatments lapse, and voila....little bastard chewed the #2 injector wire on the Rebel. I have another ultrasonic device on order, for the truck, and gave both vehicles a fresh spray of peppermint oil.

I can't keep outdoor cats, because even though I'm rural, the road is close, and they'd get smashed. I'd like to stock the woods with pythons, but Mrs. K-Dawg said something about packing up and moving if I did that (not sure if that was me or her that would be moving), but anyway, no snakes. The rodent battle continues.
Unfortunately I know exactly where you are with this. I had a honda Fit couple years ago, rats cost me $800. I now to this day have a bright light under my truck and every 3 days or so spray repellent. Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
No, If you drive with a cylinder not firing consistently, you may be putting raw fuel through the exhaust. This melts the cats and causes destructive backpressure. Now if you can confirm that the injector is not firing at all, then you probably won't get cooked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts