DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too happy. 2014 Laramie with only 18K. Always keep clean especially
during winter months.The truck looks new except I noticed rust bubbles starting in several spot along front edge of hood. No nicks from rocks at all. So whats up with this BS. :doh:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
hmm, I have not hear about this being a problem on Rams. In any case the hood is Aluminum so it can't rust but it can corrode.

·
Registered
15 Posts
during winter months.The truck looks new except I noticed rust bubbles starting in several spot along front edge of hood. No nicks from rocks at all. So whats up with this BS. :doh:
I have this same problem.. I keep mine clean and never thought something like this happen.. The hood is aluminum and I think it is corroding under the paint. It is along the front edge and it goes under the hood.. Keeps getting bigger and bigger. Now its starting on the other side. I brought it back to my dealer and they got it approved for repair from fca. I just haven't brought it back yet. The service guy said he has seen this before.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,652 Posts
Any photos of the exact location guys? Trends can help other be proactive with FCA's poor batch processing.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Neither of those appears to be galvanic corrosion. (what aluminum does,not actual rust).
Looks like paint process issue, to me. Simply put, the paint is lifting, from the primer. Could also be primer separating from the surface/metal, though that is far more rare.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it has been a year since I posted this and come to find out I am not the only one with this issue. As a matter of fact a dealer has admitted it is a known issue. Now I see another known issue, because of the location of sound proofing inside the front fenders the fenders in that location are rusting from the inside out. If yor truck is out of warrenty you are out of luck. So because of a engeneering or manufacturing mistake you have so suffer. If FCA would offer to fix these issues even when the truck is out of warrenty due to the fact it is their fault I would certenly consider buying another Ram. But at this point unless these issues are addressed I will not be buying another Ram.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this same problem.. I keep mine clean and never thought something like this happen.. The hood is aluminum and I think it is corroding under the paint. It is along the front edge and it goes under the hood.. Keeps getting bigger and bigger. Now its starting on the other side. I brought it back to my dealer and they got it approved for repair from fca. I just haven't brought it back yet. The service guy said he has seen this before.
Just noticed this exact same problem - passenger side hood bubbles on the corners.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2014 on the bottoms of the passenger doors and lower rear pillar I
took mine to the dealership and with only 40000 miles there is no way this should have been happening as i wash my truck often and even more so during the winter months the sent it in to the body shop and it got approved by Chrysler to repair it. So, its worth a shot to bring it in to the dealership to check!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I'm 100% new to this, bought a 2014 1500 recently, washed it within a week and noticed these "rust" or corrision bubbles. Does anyone have any new information on how to get this covered or if its even possible?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Out of warranty, they at this point will do nothing. My body guy told me he sees it all the time. It isn't rust but a Galvanic corrosion caused by two dissimilar metals meeting . Aluminum hood is the cause. Chysler under wareenty would first replace the hood, later they only paid for a peel back of the skin which didn't last. Need to get a fiberglass hood. Also look for rust around the side Hemi emblems. Because of sound proofing placement the fender will rust from the inside out..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Out of warranty, they at this point will do nothing. My body guy told me he sees it all the time. It isn't rust but a Galvanic corrosion caused by two dissimilar metals meeting . Aluminum hood is the cause. Chysler under wareenty would first replace the hood, later they only paid for a peel back of the skin which didn't last. Need to get a fiberglass hood. Also look for rust around the side Hemi emblems. Because of sound proofing placement the fender will rust from the inside out..
Thats really sad that they are this crappy. Thank you for the good info anyways, ill keep a look out for that rust

1 - 14 of 14 Posts