DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm only looking @ the photo,,, to me its rust,,,, I know you said its hard, but thats how it feels

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm only looking @ the photo,,, to me its rust,,,, I know you said its hard, but thats how it feels
So if I went to the dealer and the fix-it shop guy tells me it's not rust, where else can I go to get it looked at? (and get insurance work)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I assume you mean warranty work? If it is rust insurance isn't going to pay for anything. If it is a dent insurance might pay some but it might be a cheap enough fix that is isn't worth turning in. If you are relying on a factory warranty I doubt the repairs would be covered anywhere other than the dealer. I would suggest badgering the hell out of the dealer to get my truck in there and take a close look to see what is going on. I would also insist on being there to see whatever it is they find. How long or labor intensive could it really be to pull the fender liner out???

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I assume you mean warranty work? If it is rust insurance isn't going to pay for anything. If it is a dent insurance might pay some but it might be a cheap enough fix that is isn't worth turning in. If you are relying on a factory warranty I doubt the repairs would be covered anywhere other than the dealer. I would suggest badgering the hell out of the dealer to get my truck in there and take a close look to see what is going on. I would also insist on being there to see whatever it is they find. How long or labor intensive could it really be to pull the fender liner out???
Ahhhh! yes! sorry, I meant warranty work. Duhhh
Going in there for some warranty work for rust coming through rivets on the box just behind the passenger side of the cab. Had the other side done last year. They said they'll pull the fender liner out and look. Isn't it double walled there? How do you see if the outer layer is rusting with the inner layer of metal is there?
I'll stay to see what they do and see.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
very intersting post. i have the same mark on my truck.

i chalked it up to something hitting inside the bed/wheel well.

ill go grab a pic and post...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
very intersting post. i have the same mark on my truck.

i chalked it up to something hitting inside the bed/wheel well.

ill go grab a pic and post...
Puzzling cuz, I worried about it behing caused by pulling 5th wheel... But told by body shop that is not possible, and most likely caused by a rock. i will post results after we find out for sure.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
here's what i have...

very hard to see on the black, but, i circled in yellow. it is more noticable at deifferent angles...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yes, I think it is double-walled but I don't know exactly what it looks like in there. I'm not sure how they are going to get to it but it can't be that difficult. I'm willing to put money on it being a dent, lol.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
yeah mine looks like a dent from the inside out for sure...

i remember my second car was a '78 impala...i had a massive stereo in it when i was a punk...the speakers were out of my house and i put them in the trunk. well one night while cornering too fast, the one speaker slid across the trunk floor and hit the side of the inner rear fender...all of a sudden my car had an outie!!!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
haha thanks man...i love to keep er clean...i had to wipe some dust off to even get the pic!!

yeah i can definatley feel it...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well either way your going to fix it right,,,then you'll see it rust,,,the metel is not a solid piece it has layers,, some how moisture gets in there and that what you end up with Rust,,, my 2 buddies had the same shit,,both had 08

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
the rusting issues in the 08's (thrid gen for that matter) was due to the fact that dodge did not have the wheel well liners in the rear wheels...the OP's truck is a 4th gen, and i dont think as susceptable to the rusting of the rear quarters as the previous generation.

i dont think this issue is rust here. it definately looks like a "reverse" dent for some reason.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Take it in to your service manager and have them take care of it.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
the rusting issues in the 08's (thrid gen for that matter) was due to the fact that dodge did not have the wheel well liners in the rear wheels...the OP's truck is a 4th gen, and i dont think as susceptable to the rusting of the rear quarters as the previous generation.

i dont think this issue is rust here. it definately looks like a "reverse" dent for some reason.
Some of the earlier third gens in particular had issues with this. Something about it being a double walled area with a material in between that was semi-absorbant and therefore absorbed and held water that managed to get in there. I don't remember what year they supposedly fixed this....somewhere around 05 or 06 I think. My 04 has the rear inner fender liners that even my 06 didn't have. I think those make a huge difference in the potential to have this problem or not.

On the newer trucks, especially those with the liners, as long as you don't ride around with road salt on it for half the year I don't think you will have to worry too much about body rust.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My gut reaction is it isn't rust. These trucks flex a lot, and I can't help but wonder if there isn't something under that lip that pushes out if the truck flexs, like when going up a driveway at an angle that twists the truck a little bit. I'm just speculating here.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My gut reaction is it isn't rust. These trucks flex a lot, and I can't help but wonder if there isn't something under that lip that pushes out if the truck flexs, like when going up a driveway at an angle that twists the truck a little bit. I'm just speculating here.
Like a rock (sounds like another brand name motto) stucked in there maybe?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I'm curious....how far up in there does the double walled section start? Is there a little section of single walled fender there close to the lip on the other side of the fenderwell liner? I wonder if you took the fender liner out if you would be able to see anything on your own? I looked at your photos again and the dents (as I am referring to them, lol) sure are close to the lip of the fender.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i know for me, the steel on my 96 was SOLID man i mean SOLID> this new ram, is defonately more flimsy. it flexes when i wax it for crying out loud. i too thought it could be flexing, but again im not sure. to me, i beleive in my situation, it is definately somethat that hit my inner fender from behind.

beleive it or not, i looked at dozens of 07's before i bought the 2010...all had either rusted in the rear finder, or had showed signs of rust repair there...so maybe they got it in 08?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts