DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I have a 2012 SLT, I was looking at it today and noticed some rust spots on the front Bumper Chrome. Easy enough to polish off but still a nuisance.... Is this normal or should I see my dealer?

I got them to throw in the master shield lifetime warranty, doe that include the bumper?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
I know the 4th gens have had some chrome issues. Luckily my 11 hasn't had an issue but there isn't much chrome on mine. Would be worth talking to the dealership about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my last truck was a 2010 and day one it had yellowing at the license plate holes on the front bumper. I asked the service shop and they said most of them are having this problem. It was not covered under warranty and dodge recommended some spray you buy from them for on the back side of the bumper. I put a vanity plate over it and forgot about it. I think its bs you get something new and it isn't perfect or covered.

·
Registered
754 Posts
On my 08 they covered my rear bumper under warranty. My 11 does not have any crome which is one of the reasons the truck went home with me. On my 08 I used fine steelwool and crome polish. The salt on the roads here and tepms below freezing weeks on end was the killer here.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I thought i read on the forumz about a tsb for the rusty bumpers???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I admit I didn't do a search before posting, and with some elbow grease the shiz comes off. NevrDull is my friend. I'll keep ya'all posted about what the dealership says.

·
Registered
10 Posts
rust on chrome

Gents, I had this problem when I first got my 2010 Laramie. However, the fix is very easy- clay bar your bumper. Most vehicles move via train and some small, unseen specks of metal dust imbed in the chrome. Since I used the clay bar, no signs of rust. That was over a year ago. Plus, using a clay bar on your chrome really makes it pop.

Artyman

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm going to check my chrome. I think this is a price we have to pay for Canadian winters and road salt! My truck is only a month old and I am already plotting ways to ditch the stupid chrome. I want to just have it all painted the same colour as the truck, I hate chrome! Polishing it up will clean it right up, but its a pain like previously stated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got my truck back yesterday. Dealership replaced rear bumper, both side steps and polished my chrome rims. All of these were showing signs of rust. They also said that if the rust showed up on my rims again they would order me some new rims. Very discouraging to see this on a 6 month old truck.

·
Registered
187 Posts
kinda weird but i had the same problem with the rims on my mustang talked to the Ford dealer even though they were aftermarket and they pretty much were worthless but i talked to my buddy who details cars for a living and he told me to get about 2 tablespoons of that comet stuff you clean bathrooms with in a spray bottle with distilled water and spray it on and let it sit for about 5 minutes and it wiped right off... but he told me to use a less diluted mix of comet and distilled water more like a thin cream and when its done apply that and i havent had rust on them since 2010 and the car literally sits all winter long in my driveway uncovered. Hope this helps

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had this problem with the front bumper on my 2009. The dealer pollished the bumper twice for me and told me when I wanted to replace it let them know and they would order up a bumper for me free of charge. (bumper to bumper warranty) I ended up trading it in before I got around to replacing the bumper. I went with the Express this time with the painted bumpers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts