DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking specifically for Canadian owner input here but any insight from anyone would be helpful. My dealer in Scarborough, Ontario offers rustproofing for a one time fee and one time application with no yearly inspection or further follow-up. They won't tell me who does the job. Seems a bit strange to me but my question is do any of the larger companies doing this (Krown, RC etc) even offer a one time application with lifetime warranty to the general public? I would assume they are applying a much better longer lasting protection than the regular application you have to go in yearly for at $150-$170 NO? or is it the same material used? Does this seem like a scam to get a bunch of money up front and the vehicle is still going to rust out at the same time as all the rest? lol. At $810 like a hose job but at the same time seems cheaper than $150 or more / year to apply and no hassle of going in each year as I will be keeping the truck for quite a while I think. I know this application is probably HALF that cost in the U.S. so we do indeed get raped for accessories and add-ons here. Would love to know if the company applying it charges less and if this is just the dealer grabbing a piece of the pie on the application.

I have also hear that some have been limited to two repairs or denied repairs with the excuse being the repair exceeded the cost of the vehicle. I am mainly looking for a good product/service that will protect yet save me repeated apps and visits over the next few years.

The local mechanic I use in town here sprays with a horrible looking black no drip spray that seems to ooze out of every orifice for years after in the hot sun. Maybe a good thing at $85/year but ugly as hell and messy

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I will admit to purchasing this plan. I bought my first Ram one week ago tomorrow and I went for this. I must admit to some buyer's remorse after reading some posts on this site, but my plan is to keep this vehicle for a very long time.

My take is that with new vehicles these days, the engines will now outlast the bodies and frames by a good margin. So I got the undercoating and paint protection plans. The dealer talked a pretty good game about dent fixes and spot rust fixes. I am waiting for the mail-in details from Chrysler because what I am lacking right now is real documentation about what is exactly covered and for how long.

My gut says that this plan will have serious stipulations but I will give the benefit of the doubt for now. I'll let you know the details when the paperwork arrives.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing. I asked the dealer who does the application and fixes and they said "we do". I asked again, do you outsource and they said no. Take that for whatever it's worth.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I posted this on another thread. My Ford SuperCrew (03) had the waxy no drip undercoating applied right from the start. I then went back every year for the next 8 years to get it inspected/touched up. At year 10, the bottom of the doors and rocker panels were rusting pretty good.

So from my personal experience, stay away from the one time, lifetime guarantee waxy option offered at the dealer. At year 5 or so, they wanted another $200 to "recoat" the bottom. I said no and they didn't say it would affect the warranty. When I started see rust, they denied my claim, because it was rusting from the inside out, and said it was because the manufacturer didn't protect the inside--that's when I stopped going back.

If you look at my other post, I posted a link to the Canadian Forces study on corrosion protection on CF vehicles. It's a very interesting read.

Edit to add

I have full intentions of using Krown when my Ram arrives (I'm hoping this week)

And the electronic module is also nonsense. They claim it works on bridges and boats; and they are right, but these things are also grounded 24/7 in water, vehicles are not submerged in water.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealer said they outsourced it - "affiliate" was the word they used. They also said if so much as a bubble appears that's when you take it in for repair but he was very vague on any other details and did not offer any info sheet on it. Words are just words I want to see it in writing before forking over $810 (+ taxes I assume). I got this yellow waxy treatment when my 95 Suburban was new and it took at least 12-13 years to start rusting around the door bottoms and never did perforate anywhere else after 19 years of ownership. 10 years seems standard regardless of what anyone does to protect. I have a feeling the thousands we spend on rust control over the years just buys a tiny bit of time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the plan. Don't let your sticker expire as soon as it your truck is considered unregistered the plan is void. I still think it's worth it for the peace of mind. Just gotta follow the rules which are fairly reasonable.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just as a note to this my 11 Avenger has some bubbling on the lower passenger door seam and with the Gold plan warranty till 2017 they denied the claim as it could not be seen from the outside. Having bought my first Dodge 41 years ago and having one on hand ever since I was a little miffed. I would be asking for long term proof and a very well written foolproof warranty before forking out any amount of cash for what a salesman has to say.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the plan. Don't let your sticker expire as soon as it your truck is considered unregistered the plan is void. I still think it's worth it for the peace of mind. Just gotta follow the rules which are fairly reasonable.
"Sticker expire"? "unregistered"? That's the trouble I couldn't get any info out of them so what are the rules exactly? The idea of yearly coatings seems like better protection to me but more costly, pain going in and all that dripping is a messy friggin nightmare from Krown.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just as a note to this my 11 Avenger has some bubbling on the lower passenger door seam and with the Gold plan warranty till 2017 they denied the claim as it could not be seen from the outside. Having bought my first Dodge 41 years ago and having one on hand ever since I was a little miffed. I would be asking for long term proof and a very well written foolproof warranty before forking out any amount of cash for what a salesman has to say.
Wow 3 years old or so that's BS. I agree the sales guys are so vague about everything. the guy trying to sell it to me was the finance guy. apparently they do double duty now selling accessories and upselling add-ons etc. Frigem. My local mechanic sprays no drip for about $85 thinking of getting him to do it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts