DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do my own rustproofing with either fluid film or corrosion free. There is an independent around here that does it but don't Know what products he used but wants over $500 to do it then $280 a year after that.
Anyway does anyone have info for gen 4 on all areas to get and where to get inside the rocker panels or links to this info?
I think I remember reading the rocker have 2 Chambers on the Rams so I just want to make sure I do a good job.
Here in Wisconsin they spray a brine on the road in winter and it really eats everything a lot worse then plain salt.
Thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
I take my RAM to Krown for its annual spray. Cost ~$130CDN each visit.
Been going to Krown for a few years now (with other vehicles) and no issues....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know which product is better as far as longevity and rust resistance, fluid film or corrosion free?
Thanks

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
996 Posts
Fluid film - but you can order Krown online, get the shop to do it.

https://shopusa.krown.com/

That price is insane - I paid $160 which includes the spring Krown Salt eliminator wash, and the drill/plug install.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah you can buy the Krown product in aerosol cans, I had my truck done last weekend and the guy told me to come back and get a can if I replaced any parts so I could protect them too.

They put a plug in each pillar in the door jambs, but my wife and I went to breakfast while my truck got sprayed so I am not sure what all areas they hit. I need to wash the truck to get the rest of the excess off. They washed the truck afterwards so I am reasonably sure they spray the entire vehicle and just wash it off the painted surfaces to ensure it gets everywhere salt spray would if you were driving on a wet road that had been salted.

I don't think they really have a good franchise network here in the US; the one I went to is in St Louis, so IDK if that's the one you mentioned that was 8 hours away, or where you are in Wisconsin. The one in St Louis actually got into it because they are a de-icing contractor in the area and started using it to protect their plow and salt spreader trucks, and then figured they'd offer it as a service; their employees go to the same annual corporate training that Krown puts on for all their franchises so I assume the way its done here is the same way its done everywhere.

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
996 Posts
In the old days didn't they just spray used motor oil under the car?
Old motor oil will not run down in to the cracks. Had an 88 GMC we bought cheap and did the body on. It was done with used motor oil, the bottoms of the fenders, rockers and cab corners rotted out because used motor oil is too thick.

Krown has been around a long time, really is worth the money, as is the salt eliminator wash.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This pic is from under and there are piece of tape covering holes in the vertical walls of the rocker panels. I plan on removing them and spraying inside. Anyone know where I can get that tape to replace it or what else would work. I don't want to leave them open
Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Old motor oil will not run down in to the cracks. Had an 88 GMC we bought cheap and did the body on. It was done with used motor oil, the bottoms of the fenders, rockers and cab corners rotted out because used motor oil is too thick.

Krown has been around a long time, really is worth the money, as is the salt eliminator wash.

Buddy of mine said his dad paints his barn with used motor oil. Thought that was weird.

FWIW I am really hoping this Krown stuff works out, you Canadians speak real highly of it. I need to set up an appointment for my Durango

This pic is from under and there are piece of tape covering holes in the vertical walls of the rocker panels. I plan on removing them and spraying inside. Anyone know where I can get that tape to replace it or what else would work. I don't want to leave them open
Thanks

Use Gorilla Tape

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Thanks
I am pretty sure You can get rubber plus for those hole's.. If not good old Duct Tape should work

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been using fluid film. Good stuff, I should be better about doing it more often. Don't really rust much here though

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
996 Posts
Buddy of mine said his dad paints his barn with used motor oil. Thought that was weird.

FWIW I am really hoping this Krown stuff works out, you Canadians speak real highly of it. I need to set up an appointment for my Durango

Use Gorilla Tape
This is their company truck, a 2000 F150. Anything from this era is a rot box, but with Krown annually, it has tons of life left in it.

They key is the salt eliminator wadh each May, then the krown sprsy each summer. Any time of year is good, but summer is better.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts