DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this week NJ had some great weather and i washed my ram. Wile scrubbing i found alot of rust spots all over the body. I know this is kinda common but what do i do?? I bought it used from a nondodge dealer and just dont know where to start. Any help would be great

Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
206 Posts
My previous truck had small rust spots on the hood and bumpers from rock chips. I used a small amount of naval jelly on a Q-tip then wiped it off carefully for the rust, then used touch up paint with the brush tip. To smooth out the edges of the touch up paint, it was buffed very lightly with polishing compound and a random orbit buffer and then waxed. Worked very good, no rust came back through the paint in 4+ years.

·
Registered
257 Posts
+1

I think a Clay Bar would help
About 4 Rams ago I had those rust specks on my brand new white paint. The dealer made a mistake of trying to buff it out and caused swirls on the entire truck. They even acid washed it first :smiledown: saying that will fix it.(wrong)
Just use a quality clay bar with lube and go from there. Wash your truck first and throw the bar away after that use.

·
Registered
564 Posts
my 09 is like that. They never stop coming back.. Weekly I walk the truck and clean it.. Clay bar helps but in winter you cant really do it :\

·
Registered
257 Posts
my 09 is like that. They never stop coming back.. Weekly I walk the truck and clean it.. Clay bar helps but in winter you cant really do it :\
Matt
Try to post a close-up photo of the specks. Then you can always ask the paint expert (Junkman detailer forums)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Clay Bar should do the trick.

My wife's Traverse is that White Diamond Tri-Coat finish that Chevy borrowed from Cadillac. The car is covered with what looks like rust spots, and the paint shop told us it's the metal from the brake dust! My parents also have light colored cars and trucks, and were told the same thing.

Clay Bar took it right off. It's a pain...it's sucks, but nothing apparently wrong with the finish at least. Seems to be most noticeable on white and light colored finishes so I suspect I'll be seeing it soon on my silver Ram.

Previously, my last two trucks it could be seen also. One was also silver, and the previous one before that was pewter. All have been GM finishes, but I can only assume it's going to translate the same with Chrysler finishes also. :4-dontknow:

Good luck and tell us how you made out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts