DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rustproofing from dealership? Other options?

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Off-Kilter 
#1 ·
Wondering about thoughts on dealership rustproofing. I had it done on my last Ram, but on my '14 I didn't bother doin anything yet. They will be salting the roads before I know it so I want to get on this.

Anyone have any opinions/suggestions?

#3 · (Edited)
The Mastershield system with warranty through Chrysler done at authorized dealers is excellent. Product application and warranty is better than Krown in my opinion. Usually they want truck with zero miles on it though for the premium lifetime transferable warranty.

I have done Krown on several other vehicles in the past. You can buy Krown in bulk. I have a shop and all the spray equipment including special drills and body plugs, I preferred Fluid film. For my new truck the Mastershield from Chrysler suits me best with no annual inspections or a mess on driveway.

#5 ·
I just bought a fluid film kit to do my undercarriage myself.

#6 ·
did a lot of research... KROWN came uptop...

just did both my truck and my old mans 2014 rams.... my bud has a 94 chev thats been crowned its whole life and the body on it is still mint so that got me sold for the most part

#11 ·
yea the dripping is intense.. and the spray is MESSY!!! i had shit oozing out from every crevis of my truck for 2-3 days easy... but only shows me one thing.. they got it everywhere... it came out from the headlights, rockers, door jams, tail lights, heck driving down the highway my truck was smoking blue from the oil burning up on it for a good 30 mins straight.

ive had the cheaper fluid film sprayed on my other truck by a local mech.. it didnt last and still ended up rusting out and the local mech is a real good bud of mine that made sure it was all done good.

you pay for what you get IMO when it comes to this

#12 ·
The cheaper stuff the garages have (and your local mechanic) is a heavy petrolium based product, costs 25% the price of Fluid Film and does not work well. Fluid Film is more money than Krown, doesnt drip and works excellent.

#13 ·
ah ok.. that I didn't know...

I dont have the set up (a lift ect) to get the trucks and what not done properly.. i guess some could just reach under to spray but yea.

IMO... krown has a fair price for the under coating... I mean IMO the warranty is kind of a gimic to an extent as rust usually starts when the paint bubbles or chips of from rocks which wouldnt fall under krown's warranty.

but stuff like the oil pan, brake lines ect could be covered if they where ever to fubar

#14 ·
Krown. Only product I use. Good to note they also spray the Interior of the doors, and other panels, meaning both exterior and interior metal parts get a coating where possible. It does mean they drill some holes - but they are small, covered up, etc. No other product that I am aware of does that.

As for dripping - I park on the road for 3 days - but of course I have that option.

But ask yourself - if you had to have dripping for 1 or 2 days - or a vehicle that rusts out in 6 or 7 years - which one do you want?

#15 ·
It's an easy choice, Krown is the only way to go. If it doesn't drip, it's not going to work. Both Fluid Film and Rust Check build up year after year, and trap moisture under themselves which causes rust. Krown drips off until there is a thin oil film left. I can guarantee any product that doesn't require an annual reapplication isn't worth a pinch of shit either, been there, done that. My 6 year old Mazda 3 has holes in the body, that weren't supposed to happen due to their miracle, spray it once and forget it, product. Luckily it's going to be fixed under warranty, but I should have just put Krown on it every year and not worry about it. Anyone in Canada who uses something other than Krown is wasting their money, in my opinion.

#16 ·
The Guy who invented Krown came up with a better no drip version. Its called Rust Check. Fluid film continually creeps, it isnt hard, does not "build up" or trap moisture.

Mazda 3's are half rusted out on the boat ride over here. There is no hope for those cars.

#17 ·
Not calling you out, but do you have a reference for the Krown and rust check guy being the same? My grandfather has been applying rust check on his 08 ranger since he bought it new, and it only has about 80k kms. There is no part on the frame that isn't covered in heavy scale rust when you scrape off the rust check. Even the body panels around the fenders are rusting. He is not happy. As for the Mazda 3, let's just say they are not built for Canada!!!

#18 ·
I personally just had my new RAM done with Krown. A friend of mine has a 2001 GMC 2500 that he used Krown on since he bought it new. He's the one that convinced me to go with Krown because I can't find a single spot of rust on his truck, it looks like new. We live in northern Ontario, we have some pretty harsh winters here and tons of salt on the roads. I can't speak for the other products because I never used them, and I don't know anybody that has. But I can definitely tell you that Krown works!

#19 ·
I've tried to find the original story of the Rustcheck/Krown connection but no luck so far.
The version I recall is Rustcheck is the original and some dealers that were not in agreement with the corporate business ethics were allowed by the courts to open their own dealerships under the Krown name.
Basically same product/techniques but different business practice's.

#22 ·
This is my old truck that has 150,000 miles on it and not any rust and it was Ziebarted.

I live in NW Ohio and these idiots make up a brine solution to spray on our roads along with dumping rock salt on them! Yep the new truck will also be Ziebarted, both undercoated and rust proofed.
Glad you had such good experiences with Ziebart. I am still fighting with the local Ziebart to get the overspray removed from all over the truck and paint damage repaired that they caused. I left Ziebart in far worse shape than before I brought it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.