DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone get their trucks rustproofed anymore? I'm waiting on a new truck to come in. I live in northern illinios, the winter salt just kills vechiles here. I'm open to any suggestions. My current 2003 ram's undercarrage is in terrible shape. Then i see trucks that have come from the south & they're the same age/mileage & they're pristine underneath!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I do the oil treatment, my last truck a 12 Ram went from the dealer's lot about 1 mile to get rustproofed. My current one was done within a month but before winter. They cost too much to buy to be rusted out in 6 or so years.
I had a 01 Dakota with "Chrysler" rustproofing from the dealer, they did repair rust holes on rear wheel wells and front bottom of drivers door but that maxed out what they would pay for so their "lifetime" warranty is worthless

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
I have always had my vehicles rust proofed and have never regretted it......I take my truck to Rust Check......Been going there for over 20 years......

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Had mine Krown rustsprayed. Just got my truck back from bodyshop and they respray the fixed area for free.:smileup:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Had mine Krown rustsprayed. Just got my truck back from bodyshop and they respray the fixed area for free.:smileup:
I live in the south and not many need rust proofing down here but I live on the Coast and am a fishing guide so I am trying to figure out what to do.... dont think there is a Krown place within 500 miles .... have heard boiled linseed oil is pretty good but would have to put that on myself.... any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wish i can help you, but you will have to find a place near a city where you live .I expect my truck anytime soon and i will go at Krown:smileup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I checked Krown out, the closest shop they have down here is 250 miles away! But, thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
my new truck i will undercoat with fluid film myself,most places miss all the vulnerable areas ! That said if i didn't want to do it myself anymore i would use krown. Dealership said if i undercoat it myself it would void the rust warranty,I told them no problem as i do a better job. My 2008 ram had no rust when traded in.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
my new truck i will undercoat with fluid film myself,most places miss all the vulnerable areas ! That said if i didn't want to do it myself anymore i would use krown. Dealership said if i undercoat it myself it would void the rust warranty,I told them no problem as i do a better job. My 2008 ram had no rust when traded in.
Don't see why undercoating it yourself would void the warranty. Did they give you a reason.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't see why undercoating it yourself would void the warranty. Did they give you a reason.:4-dontknow:
any product other than the stuff the chrysler dealership uses will void the rust warranty ,thats what they told me.But they might have just be trying to scare me into buying their product,I don't know if its true.I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do-it-Yourself Undercoating??

I undercoated my 1997 K1500 Silverado when it was brand new with a rubberized, aerosol product from Pep Boys or other autoparts store. Hosed down the undercarriage...let it dry a day or two...crawled under the truck and sprayed everything but the exhaust system.

I have 300K+ miles on the truck now. I live in eastern PA where in winter, they over-salt roads compulsively. That undercoating just started to wear off in small patches about 1-2 years ago. No rusted-through area anywhere.

I'll be doing the same with a new truck I recently ordered. I maybe wrong but I think the Magnuson-Moss Act says the manufacturer can't void your warranty unless they can prove that what you did caused the problem. So how would undercoating it yourself cause rust damage unless you clogged one of those rubber plugs they put on the inside of body panels to drain water from sealed void areas in the body metal. I'm not even sure that the Ram uses those rubber plugs like some of the older vehicles.

I would like to hear more from forum members who've done Do-it-Yourself undercoating of their late model Rams...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello, I have found a dealer for Ziebart in my area Corpus Christi .... The truck I ordered is close so am wondering if anyone knows about this product ? No Krown dealers down here ..... any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
From what I know from people that got Ziebart, it is overpriced, they spray a rubberized coating on the bottom, very limited what they coat on the bottom and an oil inside doors, rockers fenders and tailgate like any other rustproofer. My brother had his done and I wasn`t impressed with the undercarriage they did

·
Registered
122 Posts
From what I know from people that got Ziebart, it is overpriced, they spray a rubberized coating on the bottom, very limited what they coat on the bottom and an oil inside doors, rockers fenders and tailgate like any other rustproofer. My brother had his done and I wasn`t impressed with the undercarriage they did
Is the Krown a rubberized as well ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
rustproofing

I keep my vehicles a long time. I pick up my just delivered truck tomorrow from Ziebart. Maybe its luck or living right. In 12 vehicles, that have been all over this country and part of Europe. I had one rusted out gas tank and that was clearly Ziebarts fault. Had skid plates on a Cherokee Chief and they did not spray the gas tank underneath. The wand would fit, and dirt/salt collected and it rusted out. After some mashing of teeth and foot dragging they replaced it. Had it done in Indiana and replaced in Pennsylvania three years later. I don't know how one dealer reimburse the other, and I don't care. My Ram has skid plates, so I told them the story. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Having the bed "Rinoized" and paint sealed also. Give you an update in 5 or 8 years.
Harold

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a buddy that had his truck done a Ziebart acouple of years ago. He goes back yearly & they inspect it & touch up whatever needs done. I just figured I'd check with everyone to get different ideas. My 2003 Ram (w/ Hemi) is still going strong w/ 165,000 miles on it. But, the undercarriage is pretty rusty. It's just amazing how the winters up here can destroy a vechile.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like to use Rustoleum products underneath. Either straight spraypaint or the rust converter. Has worked well for me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 2003 Tahoe (12 years old) with zero rust and was not rustproofed. I keep pressure washing the undercarriage during the winter to get rid road salt used heavily here in Central PA. Don't give crud any chance to accumulate in the rust prone areas.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts